upgraded hdd - how do i make it useable?

oioldman

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I have upgraded the HDD in my DRX890.
I used to have a Samsung and am not worried about loosing the current recordings.
As such I haven't used copy+ or expvr tools.

How do I make the new HDD useable?
Or, Does it just work and rebuild when I plug it in?

Thanks.

Sorry if not very clear.

Old Sky+HD receiver was a Samsung.
New Sky+HD receiver is a Sky (Amstrad) DRX890 - this has had the hdd changed from its original to a new larger size.

I have not transferred any recordings over from my old Samsung Sky+HD receiver or the hdd that was in my new Sky (Amstrad) DRX890 receiver.

I have seen lots of threads on which drive to get and how to change them, but not seen anything that indicates how to utilise the new hdd.

Still don't understand:-

I used to have a Samsung and am not worried about loosing the current recordings.

I think you mean losing, but, even so, irrelevant.

New Sky+HD receiver is a Sky (Amstrad) DRX890 - this has had the hdd changed from its original to a new larger size.

By whom?

I have not transferred any recordings over from my old Samsung Sky+HD receiver or the hdd that was in my new Sky (Amstrad) DRX890 receiver.

Again, are you saying that you got a 890 box with an already upgraded HDD, or that you upgraded the HDD yourself and now want to upgrade it again?

The Sky (Amstrad) DRX890 arrived from Sky in the post with a 500GB HDD inside.
I have removed this and replaced it with a 2TB HDD.

I upgraded the HDD in the DRX890 following this guide:
pH-Mb • View topic - How To: Sky+ HD Amstrad DRX890 / DRX895 Hard Drive Upgrade

Thanks Wasp (now wondering why didn't find when searched), seems I need to plug in and do this part from the link you provided:
Setting up the drive
DRX890 - You can fit upto a 1TB drive and just do a full reset this is the easiest option (full reset from the sky menu Services,0,0,1,select)

Wasp:- You must have ESP! :smashin:

Thanks all for help and patience.
All upgraded and working fine.

I removed the hdd from my amstrad stb - it was a seagate 500gb but copy+ doesnt recognise it!

i installed the driver required.

i can only assume that because i plugged the drive in first t the caddy (then windows recognised it) that the drive has been corrupted some how? I installed the recommended driver afterwards but obviously that was too late.

i tried the drive and caddy in a different pc but copy+ was the same.

i'm just going to proceed with the new drive install and see if it works.

incidentally i can still see the folders on the drive when i look at it via My Computer in Windows.

I removed the hdd from my amstrad stb - it was a seagate 500gb but copy+ doesnt recognise it!

Copy+ is way out of date and hasn't been updated for over 3 years now and doesn't work with drives from boxes running the current software. Copy+ development didn't go beyond copying disks from Thomson boxes to the new format.

You will have to use ExPVR instead. OK, you will need a registered copy to copy more than 15 programmes but, come on, support the guy whose spent hours developing the software.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom