Upgraded HD box with 1TB WD problem, please help

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by steve273, Feb 3, 2009.

1. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Ok, I am lost... I will talk you through what I have done so you get a good feel where I am.

Installed in my HD box is a 1TB Western Digital HDD

This afternoon, something happened where all I was getting was a red light, it would not turn on. Thinking something was on with the box I decided to check other possibilities, so I took out the 1TB HDD and replaced with the original Maxtor HD that I have kept. Turned on the HD box and the older original HDD booted up, pressed the sky button and the green light appeared. The Sky kicked in and I had sky back, but with the old HHD, what this did was tell me that the problem was with the Western Digital 1TB HDD. I took the newer HD WD, placed back in the HD box incase the fact that another HDD had booted something, or power or something had changed it, but still the 1TB stayed with the red light on, I can hear it boot up/power up. I even powered up without the cover and I could feel and hear the HDD boot up, yet the green light still wouldn't come on.

I then took out the Western Digital and put the Maxtor back and yet again it worked, so it has to be the HDD that is the problem. Why does it stay locked with the red light, it does disappear when I press the on button, still nothing and the red light returns.

Taking the Western Digital I placed it in a caddy, to see if there was anything on it, I thought that they may had upgraded the software with the new EPG and messed up my HDD. Anyway, looking with Copy+ I see all the programmes that were on the HDD, and it was clear the HD cannot be damaged, or can it be. How does the Copy+ recognise the HDD and all the programmes if the Sky HD box doesn't but does the Maxtor.

So what am I doing wrong. So very confused, on what I can do to keep all the recorded programmes on the WD. The box did say this morning that I had 7% remaining in space.

Something else I did when I added the caddy to the laptop I right clicked on the My computer page on the HDD and it told me that I have 72.3mb used and 931gb free which tells me everything has gone. When I hother the HDD icon on the My computer section it then tells me Free Space 931gb and Total size 931gb.

When I open the HDD it tells me

966 Files, 147 Folders
    Size 241gb
    Size on disc 241gb
    archive ticked.

Please help me, I am totally stuck.
    :lease:

Thanks in advance

Stephen

2. TonyH

TonyH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Its a long shot, but could you have filled the remaining 7% on the WD thus totally filling the HDD and somehow screwing up the boot sector or corrupting the contents?

3. Chadford

Chadford
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,529
    Tell us what box you have (I assume it's a Thompson) and which HDD you have bought? Let's check that your HDD has been tested successfully and found compatible with the box you have.

If you have a Thompson then it could be the PSU that's giving odd results depending on which HDD you have fitted. Search this forum for 'Satcure' for more details.

4. dmaidmen

dmaidmen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    I'm not sure if this is a viable option as the drive is so large but you could use copy+ to image the drive to an XTV file, delete the partition off using windows disk manager and then restore the image to the drive again using copy+.

As mentioned, im not sure if this is viable due to the size of the drive. I know copy+ gives you a warning on larger drives so hopefully someone can confirm that this is a safe procedure. If you can't get anything else to work then I guess its worth a go. I haven't worked with a drive of this size.

Good luck.

Duncan

P.S don't mess with the drive in Windows else it might start writing system files to the disk and creating recycle bins is you attempt any manual copies/deletions.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  5. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thanks guys, I will look into what has been written above, answer to your questions above...

The last thing I had recorded was the Superbowl but it showed 7% after this, I had no recordings lined up yesterday morning, to use the 7% I would have had to record 3-4 HD movies depending on length of movie.

The Sky HD box is a Thomson

The HD is a Western Digital WD1000FYPS

I have been using this WD for nearly 11 months with absolutley no problems.

The problem with taking an image of the disc is that you have to have another 1TB drive to do it. I had no problems using copy+ with this drive when I first used it 11 months ago. Don't worry I have disconnected it from windows and have no plans to keep connecting it to the laptop.

I think I will try it again today swapping over the drives to see if the WD HHD gets recognised by the Thomson box. There was one thing that was quite odd at the time which I forgot to mention both my router and Thomson box are plugged into the same extention 4 way plug extension, my router also for about 5 minutes would not boot up, I unplugged it and moved it along to a spare unused connection on the 4 way plug and it turned on. Strangely the Thomson box has not rebooted after doing the same, just stays in standby. Could I have had a power surge that messed up my HHD, if it had again why does copy+ recognise the drive and all thats on it.

So confused!? :(

thanks guys

6. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    New update

I have just swapped back the WD HHD and I waited 5 minutes for the booting without pressing anything on the remote. After this time I press the power on button and the green light came on, getin I thought, then I looked on the TV and there was a blue screen, ***** I thought. I am now trying to turn of the box via the remote and it won't, the green light stays stuck on the front.

I am kinda guessing that like a HDD error on a computer you get a blue screen, could this be the same and the HDD is done.

I don't know what to try next. :(

7. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Unbelieveable I got to say.

Firstly I would like to say thanks to this MB.

Right, I have being doing searches all afternoon until now on this SKY HD section looking for ways that people have been doing things to restore themselves from the blue screen.

I have done so many things, yet one after the other they didn't work, from taking out the HDMI and placing back in the box and TV and putting back the power lead to forcing a software update which I was able to do, but as soon as I pressed the TV button then sky (which is as I have learned today the correct way to turn the thing on) the item would show a blue screen.

I'm not telling porky pies when I tell you I was moments from taking the hard drive out and reformatting it to see if there was a problem with the HDD. Then something in my brain switched on, cannot say why I thought of this but I did, I decided to place the power into another 4 way surge protector that I have the TV and laptop plugged into and as a last try I kid you not, I powered up the Thomson box, I waited for the HDD to stop making its whizzing noise and pressed TV then Sky, the green light came on, I glanced to the TV and saw a blue screen then before a message appeared Looking for something, I don't know exactly but I was just running around happy, shouting its alive its alive. Then I had the channel 998, then I clicked tv guide then green button for my planner, hey thay 7% was still at the top and all my programmes are still there.

I now have the un envious task of switching it all off and puting the casing back on. :suicide:

I would like to thank those that read this thread and those who replied. A message to all those that have a blue screen, keeping searching the site, try everything, never give up, it may just work.

Stephen :thumbsup:

8. steve273

steve273

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Thought I would add my system details

Man - Thomson
    Model - 607120Y
    Version - 4E3004
    OSV - 1.32AOE
    EPG SV - 5.10.k HD

9. WillieCocker

WillieCocker
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Yes the SkyHD box seems to be affected by any little thing.
    I did a planner rebuild on my HD box (Hitachi 1TB fitted) one day and the box did the planner rebuild but left the blue ring lights on for some reason, anyway couldn't get the box to reboot, blue lights constantly stuck on
    Unplugged the box twice and it still wouldn't come out of standby, then i noticed my surge protector light had gone on the extension lead.
    Changed it to a new one and hey presto , working box again with no lights, whole planner intact.
    Although i did unplug the hdmi & power cable from the back of the box too when i switched to the new surge protector, and IIRC i had a simliar problem before with unplugging the hdmi cable.
    Tip is: if you ever have problems like this, before panicking, remove the hdmi lead aswell as unplugging the box and checking your surge protector if you have one.