Question Upgraded Hard Drive and now Kodi won't see it

Discussion in 'Home Entertainment Computers' started by Indiana Jones, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    I have Kodi 6.0.3 installed on a partition on my Intel NUC with Windows 10 on another partition and for the last year or so everything has worked fine but today I took the WD 2Tb hard drive out of its external caddy, imaged the contents over onto a new 4Tb hard disk and put the new disk in the drive caddy.

In Windows the external drive is detected fine but when I boot up Kodi it doesn't mount the drive and I can't find any trace of it.

If anyone can shed any light on why the drive isn't bring mounted I would be very grateful.

2. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    It sounds as though you're running a version of Linux (which then runs Kodi) on one of the two partitions of your NUC. The way Linux recognises, labels and mounts hard disk partitions differs from the way Windows does, and it's quite possible that the new hard disk appears as a different Linux hard disk device from the old one - and hence isn't mounted and made available to Kodi. Which Linux distribution are you using for Kodi ? It should be possible to find the new hard disk and make it available.

However, is there a reason why you don't just install Kodi for Windows on the Windows 10 system ?

3. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    I have an Openelec version of Kodi running on a partition, I have done this instead of running a version through Windows so I can get DTS-HD and TrueHD audio output as when I put the system together neither were supported via Windows on an Intel NUC but that could have changed since.

4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    Ah, you must have an N2820 CPU in your NUC - that certainly had the issue of not passing HD audio under Windows. I don't think that situation has changed.

So, assuming you can get a command line into Openelec, then you should be able to do something as described in this link. One other thing that may be relevant is what find of filesystem have you formatted the new disk with ? I think Openelec can read NTFS formatted disks, but I'm not sure.

5. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    Well I don't have any way of getting a command line into Openelec, the NUC is the only computer I have unless there is an app I can use on the iPad.

As for the file format it was NTFS on my 2Tb and that worked fine, the 4Tb is also formatted to NTFS.

6. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,461
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    Right I managed to connect to it and ran parted and the drives doe show up but the partition table is unknown which I guess is where the problem lies...

Model: WD Ext HDD 1021 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sdb: 4001GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
    Partition Table: unknown
    Disk Flags:

8. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,461
    Interesting, do you know if the 2TB drive was MBR or GPT?

9. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    Think it was MBR but after typing in some commands without thinking them through I have ended up wiping the drive :facepalm:

On the plus side it is most definitely configured as GPT now and is showing up in Kodi on start up I just need to transfer over all 1.8Tb of content again which I can only do at work so will have to wait until Monday.

10. richardsim7

richardsim7
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,461
    At least you had a backup!

11. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,752
    My original plan so just to use the 4Tb drive to back up my 2Tb disk and continue to use the 2Tb but figured why not upgrade but obviously the way I went about coping the info was flawed, at least I now know the disk works and I just need to drag/drop the files over, shouldn't take more than 3-4 hours and in the mean time will just pop the 2Tb disk back in the caddy.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017