• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgradeable starter Hi Fi - £500

GKH77

Novice Member
Hi all

My 25 year old technics hi-fi is sadly on it's last legs and I am looking to buy hi-fi separates and was hoping for a bit of advice if possible.

I am looking to build the basis of a good HiFi system for around £500 initially with a view to adding/upgrading components when finances become available.

I have a large collection of CD's, a few records on Vinyl (and an entry level Sony record player which I am happy with for the moment). Most of my music is backed up on ITunes in MP3 format and I use my android phone to listen to music on the go. I also own a google chromecast audio which is plugged into my technics and used to stream Spotify.

I would also prefer to buy new as opposed to second hand as I feel I do not have enough expertise to know what is/isn't a good deal and also I am notoriously fickle and want to be able to return stuff if I am not happy!!

I wondered if anyone had any advice as to where to start for around £500? I was thinking of perhaps purchasing the Marantz PM6006 amp along with a set of Speakers as a starting point with a view to adding a CD player at a later date. This would hopefully allow me to at least use Chromecast Audio to listen to music until I can afford a CD player.

In regards speakers, I am considering the Elac Debut B6 or Monitor Audio Bronze 2 as both seem to be well reviewed

Other things to note; I have limited space for my system - and will possibly have to place it on bookshelves (i.e no room for stands etc)

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice around the above? Am I on the right track??!

Thanks in advance!

Member 778069

Established Member
Hi GKH77,

You could do a lot worse than the PM6006 amplifier, at its current price there isn’t an amplifier than can better it. Of course there are other alternatives, in the same price bracket Yamaha would probably be the closest contender, but I’d still rate the Marantz above Yamaha on musicality.

The PM6006 also has optical inputs, this would allow you to take advantage of the inbuilt DAC, which will almost definitely be better than the one in the Chromecast.

As for the two speaker options you mention, I would suggest the Bronze 2 being the better option if you need to place the speakers close to a wall as they are front ported. Being front ported, rather than rear, should stop any unwanted booming of the sound.

That wouldn’t be my only reason for choosing them though, they are an excellent speaker, very detailed which works well with the warmth of the Marantz.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Russell – Audible Fidelity

muljao

Prominent Member
Just to add my two pence worth.

The elac and monitor audio speakers are well reviewed. The marantz amp is great. Even though the monitor audio bronze are front ported they need distance from the wall, about a foot is good. I have mine set up in a family room where space is limited and they are close to the wall, they are a little boomy, I have the bass on amp turned down even though I'd prefer to bypass the tone controls.

Speaker wise I can highly recommend the q acoustics 2020i or 3020i, fab sound and work better near the wall, and imo sound lovely with the marantz, they are also quite inexpensive, the 2020i being about 120 quid.

Fwiw I don't see advantage over 2020i with the 3020, they are to me approx equal.

Another speaker to look at maybe wharfedales diamond 220 due down firing port making positioning a little easier.

GKH77

Novice Member
Thanks guys - really appreciate the advice. Think I'm decided on the PM6006. I'll see if I can book a demo to check out the speaker suggestions too.

One quick question if you don't mind? If I intend to use the optical input on the PM6006 for the Google Chromecast Audio, what cable would I need? I think currently I'm using the Aux in port for my Technics system using a cable I picked up on Amazon.

Cheers

Member 778069

Established Member
Thanks guys - really appreciate the advice. Think I'm decided on the PM6006. I'll see if I can book a demo to check out the speaker suggestions too.

One quick question if you don't mind? If I intend to use the optical input on the PM6006 for the Google Chromecast Audio, what cable would I need? I think currently I'm using the Aux in port for my Technics system using a cable I picked up on Amazon.

Cheers
You would need a Toslink cable with a Toslink to 3.5mm adapter to connect to the Chromecast... I believe so anyway, I have not used the Chromecast audio before, but it looks like the 3.5mm input doubles as the optical input.

GKH77

Novice Member
Thanks again guys

One (hopefully!) final question. Had a quick scout around online and found a new Marantz CD5005 for around £150. Initially I was thinking about buying the CD6006 (at a later date) at around £270.

Am I right in thinking that if I purchase the PM6006 amp and CD5005, I can connect the CD player in such a way that I will use the on board DAC from the PM6006? If so, what cable would I need/where would I need to connect it on the amp?

Assuming I buy the PM6006 amp, would there be a noticeable difference in sound between the CD5005 and CD6006?

Thanks

muljao

Prominent Member
Yes, connect cd player via digital and it uses Amos onboard DAC which is identical to cd 6006 so no real sound benefits from buying the more expensive model

muljao

Prominent Member
A digital optical cable or a digital coaxial cable, depending on the cd players type of digital output

muljao

Prominent Member
As a side note any cd player that has a digital out will sound as good through the amp, cheap dvd players that will also do the same job connected up this way

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom