1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by danny-p, Mar 29, 2003.

1. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an arcam dv27 dvd player and was wondering what the differences are between this and the dv27+ and if it was possible to take this to an arcam dealer to be upgraded.
    My player plays reg1 +2 progressive scan (reg 2 had to be unlocked)
    Thanks
    Danny-p

2. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    how old is your dv27,the 27+ aren't badged.If you bought it around december 2002 it will prob be a 27+.
    also if your serial number begins d27vp its a plus.

3. danny-p

danny-p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My dv27 is about 10/ 11 months old and the serial No is D27V02276??:confused:

4. thxultra

thxultra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    think you have to upgrade to the dv27 with dvd audio the dv27a this gives you everything the + has plus dvd audio.Heard its around 600 pounds but dont think its been finalised yet.

5. StooMonster

StooMonster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +314
    Give Arcam customer support a call and ask them; they are very good, friendly and helpful. Arcam's phone number is on the front page of their web-site.

AFAIK, main differences between DV27 and DV27+ are:
    o Newer Zoran Vaddis V for MPEG decoder, and digital sound (DD, DTS, etc.)
    o Newer DVS drive transport mechanism (LT model C) -- Mech LT75 or LT76
    o New graphical menu system

Progressive scanning is done by same Silicon Image SiI503 chipset; CD analogue audio is done by same Wolfson Electronics DACs.

Both DV27 and DV27+ are NTSC and PAL progressive scan capable; although you may need to ensure firmware is up to date on DV27 for PAL progressive.

So question is ... what difference does having Vaddis V rather than Vaddis III and different transport give you?

Answer ... you will get slightly better interlaced video, progressive video may be better too (don't know though). You'll get more frequent software updates too.

Therefore, I would weigh up how much this is worth to you before paying for an upgrade. i.e. depending on your setup it may not even provide any visible improvements, and certainly no difference to audio.

Bigger difference would be upgrade to DV27A which includes the DVD-Audio card. A DV27 to DV27A upgrade would give you, firstly an upgrade to DV27+ (as this is required for DV27A upgrade), secondly DV27A features:
    o DVD-Audio compatibility
    o On-board Dolby Digital & DTS decoding
    o Bass management (all formats)

You will find more information here ARCAM DVD Player Unofficial FAQ

StooMonster