Upgrade!

thedude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
would love some thoughts on upgrading my amp.
Currently, i have an RX 3050 and its a beast and sounds good, but the pass-through of no DV, etc is a problem for me.

I'm wondering what to upgrade too, and whether 2019 models have any less than the newer 2020 models.

Looking at Denon, Yamaha, and Pioneer.

Some suggestions would be good

I have everything in my SIG, and yes i use my Elicit R for my fronts on the HTC passthrough and for all 2 channel music

What are you hoping to access Dolby Vision in conjunction with?

There's not really anything to gain in terms of audio if replacing your current receiver with a newer one, but you could simply use a UHD disc player that has dual HDMI outputs if wanting to get Dolby Vision in association with Blu-ray and UHD discs. You'd simply connect one output from the player dorectly to a Dolby Vision compliant display to convey the video directly to that display while the second HDMI output on the player is used to simultaneously convey HD audio directly to the AV receiver.

I'm potentially looking at a projector as well and want it all to be house friendly.
I'm not really looking for an audio improvement to be honest. I'd just like to be a little more future proof. 8k isn't important but 4k and 120hz maybe as well as DV etc.

The only way you'd get support for 4K/120p is if buying one of the latest HDMI version 2.1 equipped models. Denon have some along with Marantz, while Yamaha are getting ready to start launching their HDMI version 2.1 models too.

It isn't available yet and there's no indication of when it will be, but if wanting a comparable Yamaha model then you'd be looking at the HDMI 2.1 equipped RX-A8A.

I'd maybe suggest the Denon AVC-X6700 as a likely DEnon model to replave your current amp or the X4700 if funds are a little tight.

Are you sure that you want 4K/120p support? If not then you can save some cash and look at the current Yamaha RXA3080 or the outgoing Denon AVC-X6500?

It should be noted that your current TV wouldn't facilitate any support for 4K/120p either.

I was trying to keep it below £1000!
The 4700 I have looked at but that's probably top of it all.
I also looked at the 3600 and the 4500 (which I assume both of these don't do 40k at 120hz).

I also don't want to lose that much sound quality.

If wanting to keep it under £1K then options are going to be limited. THe Denon X4500 is your only real option, but I'd suggest you spend more and look at the Marantz SR7013. This is comparable to the Denon model, but will have a signature sound better for portraying musical sources than the signature sound of the Denon model.

The X3600 will mean that you'll be sacrificing a lot of power and you'd be ,osing a lot of headroom compared to your current receiver.

You'd need the HDMI 2.1 equipped models to be able to passthrough 4K/120p. You'd need one of Denon's most recent models to get this. No, the X4500 or the X3600 don't have this ability.

Last edited:
Dante you always have good things to say which is really helpful, how would the marantz newer model of the 6015 compare?

The SR6015 is comparable to the Denon X3600 model they are for all intense purposes the same receiver apart from the Marantz model including HDAM circuitry and lacking a full sized front display. Again, you'd be sacrificing power when compared to your current AV receiver.

EDIT Just realised that you are in fact refer to the SR6015 which is a newer model than the AVRX3600.

Last edited:
Champagne taste on a lemonade budget!

I wonder though do i need the power as my fronts are powered bt the elicit-r?

Using an external amp will improve the performance of your front speakers, but the room's size and your distance from the other speakers determines how miuch power they will require to attain reference without distortion.

Maybe look at the DEnon AVCX3700 if wanting 4K/120p and if intending using external amplification? This will cost you £1K. The Marantz alternative would be the SR6015 and this will cost u=you about £1,150.

The SR6015 offers the 120hz at 4k too which makes it a hybrid of the 3700 or the 4700? The numbers are all bluring into one now. The 6015 seems to be the second base model of the SR range now with the 7015 and the 8015 better!

The SR6015 is basically the same as the Denon AVCX3700. Again, it would not include a full sized front display and would include HDAM circuitry.

Yes, it has HDMI version 2.1 as is the case with the Denon X3700.

Think of it like this:

The SR 7xxx model are comparable to the DEnon X4xxxx models
The Marantz SR6xxx models are comparable to the Denon X3xxx models.

Denon's x700 models are this year's models while Marantz's xx15 models are this year's models.

The SR7015 or the SR8015 would be out of your budget.

Last edited:
The SR6015 offers the 120hz at 4k too which makes it a hybrid of the 3700 or the 4700? The numbers are all bluring into one now. The 6015 seems to be the second base model of the SR range now with the 7015 and the 8015 better!
SR6015 = X3700
SR7015 = X4700
SR8015 = X6700

X6700 = SR8015

Yes to the other comparisons, but there are difference between the X6700 and the SR8015 relative to the construction of the SR8015. It is a high end flagship model and not just another 11 channel AV receiver. The chassis is copper plated, there's a centrally mounted, shielded toroidal transformer with high-current main power supply capacitors for example. Hence the substantial price differences.

Last edited:
If happy with foregoing the new 8K options and although busting your budget somewhat how about the Denon X6500. I'm running one in conjunction with an Elicit.

If happy with foregoing the new 8K options and although busting your budget somewhat how about the Denon X6500. I'm running one in conjunction with an Elicit.

I don't know! I need to get the permission from the wife! See what I can get away with

I don't know! I need to get the permission from the wife! See what I can get away with
It's a damn good amp and with a £1000 off the original price show her what a bargain it is. Personally I just lied through my teeth. ;)

It's a damn good amp and with a £1000 off the original price show her what a bargain it is. Personally I just lied through my teeth. ;)
Want to swap for my 3050 😉

Yes to the other comparisons, but there are difference between the X6700 and the SR8015 relative to the construction of the SR8015. It is a high end flagship model and not just another 11 channel AV receiver. The chassis is copper plated, there's a centrally mounted, shielded toroidal transformer with high-current main power supply capacitors for example. Hence the substantial price differences.
That depends on whether you consider two more cooling fans, a bit of copper plating, a bit more capacitance and an extra mere 30W in the power supply to make it a high end flagship rather than just a cosmetic job to justify the extra £500 over the X6700 (and £200 more until recently than the flagship denon X8500 which does deserve that title).

That depends on whether you consider two more cooling fans, a bit of copper plating, a bit more capacitance and an extra mere 30W in the power supply to make it a high end flagship rather than just a cosmetic job to justify the extra £500 over the X6700 (and £200 more until recently than the flagship denon X8500 which does deserve that title).

The Marantz model uses a centrally mounted toroidal amp while the Denon doesn't.

Lipstick on a pig....

I'm off to buy a pig and some lipstick :thumbsup:

Anyway, it is outside the OP's budget so it would be pointless proposing it as an option. Even its predecessor (Sr8012) would exceed the proposed budget.

Last edited:
did some mention lipstick on a pig? hope they are in heels as well...

They can wear heels if you like that sort of thing, but it will cost you extra!

Hahahah dotty says hi! (omg this is one of teh most surreal posts lol) must be re-balancing and fitting a new cartridge on my turntable has pushed me over the edge lol

Attachments

• pig_illo_1.jpg
    pig_illo_1.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 27

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom