Upgrade

theprestige

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So i've just come back from watching this, and honestly, it's a travesty that there is little to no marketing for this.

This film is exciting, B movie material elevated by a concept that's pretty much a commentary on our daily existence. Yes, this can be thought of as an extended Black Mirror episode with a higher budget, but that's definitely a compliment, not a criticism. But it can also be thought of as a cybernetic mash up of Robocop mixed with 2001 with a sprinkle of early Cronenberg body horror for the finish.

The increasingly exciting Logan Marshall-Green stars a (ir)regular bloke working as a mechanic. I say irregular because the film is set in a future where the idea of manual labour raises eyebrows among society. He is involved in an accident that leaves a loved one murdered and himself paralysed. Then along comes a creepy genius dude with promises of impossible technology..

This is one of the most inventive sci fi thrillers films I have seen since, well, Annihilation, though I won't even entertain the idea that Upgrade is as elegant and thought provoking as that film. Rather, it's a film that's at it's best during it's pretty vicious action/fight sequences which somehow manage to both hilarious and squeam inducing at the same time.

Major credit has to go to both Leigh Whannell in what is clearly his best film yet. I've always disliked him because he was catalyst for what was those awful Saw films, but he pretty much redeems himself here with a film that will most likely become a cult favourite.

Can't finish without shouting out Marshall-Green, fresh off his revelationary turn in the criminally underrated Quarry, this very physical performance serves to remind me why I should hang my head in shame for ever thinking of him as a 'poor man's Tom Hardy' when he is clearly the better, more interesting actor.

Get Out's Betty Gabriel also does good work as a cop on Marshall-Green's side, but her role is so underwritten and by far the most conventional thing about the film that she does not get a chance to shine the way she did in Get Out.

Anyways, for those who can't tell yet, do yourself a favour and see this asap. It will have a very limited release window, so i'd see it in the next 7 days if you can. Not many lean, mean sci fi action thrillers out these days, so do yourself a solid.

there's an active thread here...
Upgrade (TBC)

but it took me 3 tries to find it with the search function to get the link.

For me, best film I've seen in a while. I've been listening to the soundtrack album for the last couple of weeks now. And robotics. I've been doing a lot of robotics around the house. Mostly when my Mrs isn't looking.
I have the feeling this is going to end up as a criminally under-seen movie. I'll be singing it's praises for sure, though :thumbsup:

Watched this a few days ago and loved it.
I saw the uncut version and it was quite gory.
Great stuff.

Saw it. Loved it. Highly recommended.

I want to see this but won't get to see it at Cinema unfortunately so will have to wait.

there's an active thread here...
Upgrade (TBC)

but it took me 3 tries to find it with the search function to get the link.

For me, best film I've seen in a while. I've been listening to the soundtrack album for the last couple of weeks now. And robotics. I've been doing a lot of robotics around the house. Mostly when my Mrs isn't looking.
I have the feeling this is going to end up as a criminally under-seen movie. I'll be singing it's praises for sure, though :thumbsup:

Soz, I searched too but couldn't find anything.

I'll have to listen to that soundtrack too, was awesome

Yeah, definitely worth a watch. I’ve not seen Black Mirror(!) but it reminded me a bit of a Feature length Outer Limits tale.

This was terrific, lots of influences clearly worn, not overly keen on the lead actor, but these were minor niggles. Lots of great camera work, use of light, nice not to have an over reliance on CGI too. Slightly pedestrian plotting, although it builds to killer ending. Really nice surprise, will catch it again during the week.
8/10

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom