1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade yamaha to denon

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by GFS AV, May 1, 2005.

Tags:
  1. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After a conversation with someone in the know-how, I am considering upgrading my Yamaha 640SE to a Denon 2805. Apparently the quality will be much better at lower volumes, which is how I have to listen at times at my folks house.

Has anybody else upgraded from a budget Yamaha to a midrange Denon??? Is it worthwhile?

2. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,706
    I went from a yam 795a to a Denon 3805 and the difference was like going from a nice, pleasant family car to a Ferrari! Absolutely still chuffed to bits with my amp and no regrets at all!

3. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +879
    Hi, I went from a Yamaha 795a (via Denon 2802) to a Denon 2805 and am absolutely delighted with the latter.

Cheers,

martin.

4. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Martin,

Apparently the pre-amp sections, and the processing of the Denon models are far superior to the Yamahas, Pioneers etc.. would you agree? This is supposedly why the Denons are better at lower volumes, as well as high. How old is the Yamaha 795a? Is there a big improvement between the Denons? Sorry for the bombarding of questions :smashin:

5. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +879
    Hi, as far as I am aware the Denon uses the best of components in its processing but am not qualified to say that they are (or are not) far superior to the others which you mention. My 795a would be around 4 years old by now (I think) and yes, I saw a vast improvement when I moved from the 2802 (which was good) to the 2805.

Hope all that helps.

Cheers,

Martin.

6. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hmmm...

This thread is making me reconsider buying a Yamaha! I was about to order one any day now. I was either going to buy the Yamaha RXV640RDS for £250, or the Yamaha DSPAX750SE for £320.

Any thoughts on those models, or any suggestions of a similarly priced Denon that can beat the performance?

7. mjcairney

mjcairney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +879
    What you need to do is set your budget and then do some homework, narrow your choice to a few within that budget and then go audition them at some local friendly dealer - that way, you'll end up with what you like within your budget.

Best of luck,

Cheers,

Martin.

8. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not suggesting that Yamaha amps are poor in any way. In fact, I love the sound of my Yamaha 640SE. when it's cranked up a bit, I think it sounds awesome. It just that in my situation, I often have to listen fairly quietly, in which case the Denon may suit me more. I just feel that at low volumes the Yamaha looses some quality. Don't forget though, the models you are thinking of are newer, so should be better really taking technology improvements into account. The 750 is meant to be great. If you listen at fairly high volumes, you'll love the Yamahas.

9. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also, at £320, the 750 is a steal.

10. Grand Dizzy

Grand Dizzy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MJCairney,

I can't audition anything. There are no dealers anywhere near me. There's a TV shop around the corner, and they don't have anything, and they don't do demos.

DFS,

Thanks for the info! I think I'll go with the Yamaha then. I always have the volume right up when I listen to anything, but that doesn't mean low volume isn't important to me. I mean, even when your volume is up high there are still millions of quiet noises going on!

11. GFS AV

GFS AV
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know where you're coming from, but when the volume is turned up, you still get the quality is same quality remains no matter what sounds are delivered. From a quiet whisper, to a massive explosion, the quality will be the same regardless.

12. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Definatly go for the 750Se over the older and inferior 640.