Upgrade Wifi Card on old laptop

bash

Hi guys

Got an old Packard Bell BG46, upgraded the ram to 4gb and chucked the old 160gb hdd out and replaced it with a 250gb SSD plus replaced Vista with Win7 ultimate 64-bit.

Now I fancy chucking out the old wifi card which only gives me upto G speeds for a 300N one. Be Boradband were nice enough to give me an N-speed router for free so it only makes sense, right?

Looking at my device manager, it would seem as though I have an Intel 4965AG. Can I simply replace this with the faster Intel 4965AGN? Also seen an Atheros AR5B93. How can I make sure my bios/motherboard will play nice with either one? Will I need 2 antennas for 300mbps? I think I may only have one as its an old laptop. Also, pretty sire the wifi card is situated round the front, behind the keyboard. Never taken the old bugger apart before and worried about fooking it up.

Cheers guys

bash

Wouldn't the USB end up being a bottleneck with regards to speed? Anyway, I've ended up ordering this ->[ame=http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370805906733]LAPTOP WIFI LINK LAN CARD INTEL 4965AGN PA3538U-1MPC DELL 0UT121 HP 441087 BOARD | eBay[/ame] so fingers crossed it works and speeds things up.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom