Upgrade What

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by tolmie, May 8, 2007.

1. tolmie

tolmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Hi everyone, Im thinking about upgrading my system but not sure what component to upgrade. I have Quad 12L V2 (just new,not changing), CA Azure 640c and CA Azure 640A. I think my system is already brilliant but obviously if it can get better then I'm up for that. I have seen the Rega apollo has got some great reviews, would I be better to upgrade my CDP or Amp.

Cheers

2. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    It is always possible to improve any system but if your happy with the HiFi I would strongly recommend not changing anything and if the money is burning a hole in your pocket - buy more CD's.

I know this sounds flippant but upgrading can be very expensive and time consuming and always leads to the desire to change something else in the system.

I would concentrate on the free tweaks such as ensuring all the connectors are nice and clean. Moving speakers can make a big difference to how they perform, most of the sound you hear comes via the room and this is frequently a good place to start.

3. gazza73

gazza73

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I would always say source first but to get a big enough improvement I would spend in the £600-£1000 area. A lot of money considering you like your system so much. Why do you want to upgrade? Is there a particular area of your system that buggs you or you feel your missing out on?

If your into hi-fi, like tweaking with your system and want to really hear how music should be played buy a turntable. A rega will transform your system and bring it to life. The same well recorded CD against the same album on LP will send shivers down your spine and you'll begin to realise why vinyl has never gone away.

4. tolmie

tolmie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Cheers guys, the only reason im thinking about upgrading is the thot that things can get even better, what would a power amp bring to my system such as the qaud 99. As for the turntable, I had a Rega P3 and sold it because I didnt have the room but did enjoy it. Would a power amp bring more to my system or say a Rega Apollo.

Cheers