Upgrade to Yosemite or stay with Mavericks

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by djc45, Jul 16, 2015.

1. djc45

djc45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    I have a mid 2014 Retina Macbook Pro i7 256, with 16gb ram , and am wondering whether I should upgrade to Yosemite, or stay with Mavericks. I have resisted upgrading thus far, as there seemed to be some early issues, and the Bible software package that I use, Logos 6 from Faithlife, had some pretty big issues with Yosemite, however these seem to have been ironed out now, so I could now upgrade. Other software I use a lot is Final Cut Pro X 10.1.4, Logic Pro X and MS Office.

I got an iPhone 6 plus in the last few weeks, which has got me thinking again about perhaps upgrading. Perhaps someone who has done the upgrade could let me know what the pros and cons have been in moving to Yosemite, to help me decide whether to upgrade or not. I have just this morning had to do a wipe and restore of my macbook because of another issues, and I'm thinking if I'm going to upgrade, now would be the time to do it, before I install all my programs and setting again.

I appreciate any advice that anyone can give, to help me in my decision whether to upgrade to Yosemite or perhaps even wait for El Capitan
    Thanks
    Duncan

2. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    No issues with Yosemite here, and I run Cubase 7.5 which originally would only install on Mavericks.

I also use FCP X and have no issues.

With an iPhone 6 you will also benefit from hand off... If that interests you.

3. djc45

djc45

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks Jules.

4. firemoth

firemoth
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    The only issue I had with Yosemite was the lack of 3rd party SSD support (and the Trim Enabler tool would no longer work). However, a recent post on this forum indicates that 3rd party SSDs are now supported (with the latest update).

I run Logic X and Logic 9 fine on Yosemite (still use a few 32-bit only plug-ins that I don’t want to give up).

5. simon12

simon12

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Works well on my MBA.

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    I upgraded our Mac Pro's & MacBook Pro's at work due to instability with Adobe Photoshop & Illustrator on Mavericks. This fixed the issues on all but one Mac Pro, but that now has a full SSD wipe and reinstall and we are waiting to see how that goes.

Mark.