• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Upgrade to Yamaha RX-V3700

DrJarmin

Standard Member
Hi All

I've been trying to figure out which AV receiver I should consider as my Yahama RX-V3700 has decided to pack up. I was very happy with that unit so am considering Yahama again. One feature that is important to me is the ability to be able to control music on the receiver remotely. The RX-V3700 did work with the Yamaha app (running on Android) but now looks very dated and clunky.

Any recommendations at a similar price point (or cheaper of course!) for similar quality that would allow:

- Remote control of music using a phone or tablet - ease of use here is key. I think the Yamaha app isn't up to the job these days.
- 5.1 surround sound (main room), stereo output to a second zone (currently have 2 outdoor speakers). Would be good if these were independently controllable but currently I have a speaker switch box so more a nice to have.
- Dual HDMI outputs (one to a TV, one to a projector)
-At least 4 HDMI inputs
- I use Spotify. Would be good to be able to stream Spotify too.

Thanks for any advice and suggestions!

Last edited:

PSM1

Distinguished Member
Unless you get an end of line bargain then you really need to be paying at least as much if not more than you did for your 3700 to match the sound quality.
Take care with the second zone features on a lot of AVRs as they often are limited to analogue inputs only so anything connected to the amp via optical, coaxial or HDMI can not be output on Zone 2. There are some receivers that allow this but tend to be higher end models so check the functionality first.
The Yamaha adventage range would be worth a look if you like the sound of your current AVR. Also look at the higher end Denon ranges.

DrJarmin

Standard Member
Thanks PSM, very useful point about the zone 2 inputs. In fact I had that same issue on my RX-V3700 which is why I ended up using another box to split my speakers into two zones. Completely forgot that was the reason..

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom