Upgrade to SKY+

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by rosbif, Aug 16, 2003.

1. rosbif

rosbif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We are moving house soon and will be taking my SKY stuff with us (over 12 months old).

I plan to upgrade at some point to SKY+, the problem being I will not be connecting the box to a phone line. My questions are:

1) If I buy a SKY+ box non-subsidised I presume it does not have to be connected to the phone. However, will SKY send me a new card for the SKY+ without being connected to the phone?

2) If I connect the old box up in a different room will it get all the FTA channels alone or will the old card mean we get ITV etc? Can I get a mirror subscription for the old box without it being connected to the phone?

3) Do I wait til October for the reduction in price and the removal of the £10 subscription? Will the reduction apply to non-subsidised boxed too? Will a new box offer dual-recording (whatever that is???)

TIA

2. xyznicko

xyznicko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

1) Sky will not supply it without connection to a operational phone line for 12 months.

2)If your card is one of the new ones(with a yellow house on one side) it will get all the FTA channels including BBC,ITV,C4,C5.

For mirror subscription the box has to be connected to the same phone line as above as an anti fraud measure, Sky will check this regularly and if the conditions are not being met they will bill you full subscription price for the second sub.

3) Unknown its all conjecture.

3. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes. Just ask for a "second hand contract". There is no requirement for a non-subsidised Sky Digibox to be connected to the phone line *unless* you get a "mirror subscription" second viewing card, in which case BOTH Digiboxes must be connected to the SAME phone line indefinitely.

Fman

4. rosbif

rosbif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks fman,

What exactly is a 'second hand contract'? Are they going to know what I am talking about?

5. Fernsehman

Fernsehman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, it's Sky's own terminology.