1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to sky+ ???

Discussion in 'Sky Digital TV Forum' started by Mad Mikeyboy, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I see sky are offering sky+ to existing subscribers for £149 + £60 installation. What kind of installing does it require?? Or have I just read it wrong and don't have to pay for installation?
    Also, any other comments regarding picture quality and overall pro's and con's would be gratefully appreciated cause the wife is on at me to upgrade before offer ends on 5th September.
    I personally dont see why we need to upgrade.
    I need to be convinced first. Is it any good?

2. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When I first got it, I thought it was more of a novelty than anything else - now I can't imagine living without it! It's especially nice to have half a dozen or so films recorded so you can watch them later and the series link is a nice feature too.

Having said that, I do think the box is too expensive (I paid £200 + £1 installation). It does involve extra installation - a second cable run, but again £60 seems dear for that too!

3. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    The upgrade from a standard digital system to SKY+ requires the single LNB to be replaced with a Quad LNB, a second cable run is then installed, maybe a third if you choose to keep the old digibox either as a FTA receiver or running a second sub.
    While the job isn't that big I still think even £60 is a bargin considering the whole system will be back under a 12 month warranty plus the dish and existing cabling can be totally replaced if the installer thinks it's required.
    The whole install can of course be done by anyway if they can work at the top of a ladder and know the basics but of course no warranty:)

It is quite amusing how consumer goods are considered to be too expensive by some, perhaps because DVD players are cheaper than certain DVD boxsets or perhaps a SKY subscriber has never actually paid full price for any satellite hardware having had free or subsidised kit previously:)

If the missus is only pushing you due to the time restriction I wouldn't worry, offers come and go and there is still plenty of scope for price reductions, updated hardware, package additions etc before the big High Def push starts.
    Having used SKY+ for 3 years now (come Sep 5th) I couldn't be without it and feel it was worth every single penny (£300, £35 install and £240 extra subs before premium package deal).

4. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    Mikey,
    it is a fairly expensive upgrade, but you won't regret it!
    After a few months you'll wonder why you hesitated.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,745
    I don't think it is expensive. Just think how much you'd have to pay for a hard disk recorder, and there aren't many out there that will record 2 programs at the same time. There are none out there that will get rid of that annoying red dot when recording. There are none out there that will give you one touch recording of sky programs. It's not a lot more than buying a video recorder !

6. Mad Mikeyboy

Mad Mikeyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Ok thanks for the replies.
    On the subject of HDTV. I believe my TV is compatable but will the sky+ box be? Or will I need to buy a new box when HDTV comes here? Anyone know when that will be by the way?

7. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Brand new SKY hardware for High Def, probably sold at cost and marketed as a Premium service so that mean ££££££ :)

SKY are launching their HD in 2006.