• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Upgrade to Mitsubishi HC5500 from Panasonic AX200E - worth it?

newday2a

Established Member
Hi guys,

Just need a helping hand re: projectors in the real world.

I watch a lot of Sky Sports & Movies in HD, and have a Panasonic PT-AX200E which I've been very happy with.

I've got the opportunity to upgrade to a Mitsubishi HC5500, as I'm kinda drooling over the opportunity to see more resolution in the 1080i output from SKY.

The thing is, will I notice a difference?

(My screen is 98" diagonal, and I sit approx 1.5 screen sizes away.)

Anyone been here before and could help?

:lease:

Thanks in advance,

Paul

p.s. I also watch the occasional blu-ray but not that often.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Paul

I have the PTAX200 at home and can say that the Mitsubishi is a far sharper projector. It has a great upscaling chip in-side to.

As for the real world difference. I only use a 72" at home and this size is fine for me. On a 98" I would say that for at least 75% of the time the Mitsubishi would be easily the best for any HD content It will just be some of the poorer SD bitrate broadcasts, this would be a little harder to judge as the smooth screen on the Panasonic will help remove some of the harsh edges which in sharper projector can deliver.

If you want my honest answer as a consumer and not a seller though. If I could fit the Mitsi in at home, I would have snapped one up some time ago. Much quieter than the 200, offers a better black and a good deal sharper. I just suffer from it's throw ratio.

Regards. Shane

newday2a

Established Member
Hey Shane,

Thanks for the prompt reply, much appreciated.

I've looked at the throw, and I've got a distance of 10 feet with the Ax-200E now, which give approx 98" right now.

It looks like that's on the edge of OK for the HC5500, waddaya reckon?

Thanks again,

Paul

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom