1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to Marantz SR8500 from Denon 3805?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by sschen, Apr 22, 2005.

Tags:
  1. sschen

sschen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I currently have a Denon 3805 and is considering whether it is worthwhile upgrading to the Marantz SR8500 which has a DVI input?

I currently do not have a Plasma or HDTV with DVI inputs. This is really an exercise for what is to come, when I do indeed get a Plasma or HDTV a year or two later.

My Denon 3805 is less than a year old so it should still fetch a good price. Then I will only need to fork out hopefully A$300-$400 on top of that.

Anyone has any thoughts on this, specifically gains or losses from this proposed upgrade? I am sure the Denon remote is better than the RC1400 that comes with the Marantz receiver.

Stephen

2. Menelaos

Menelaos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is coming from a SR7500 owner, but I dont see the point. By the time you buy the plasma/HDTV, there will be other features you will want or that have improved in general. ok, you will get a better price on the 3805 now, but the value for money for the next generation of receivers will (almost) always be better then the current.

Buy when you need it, not when you want it.

Menel.

3. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Agreed, not really worth it yet, the SR7500 and SR8500 are cracking amps yes, but the performance/funciotnality gain won't justify the outlay at all.