1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to HTPC worth it with a CRT projector?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by TheFatBoy, Apr 25, 2005.

1. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Having read a tiny bit about HTPC, I was initially thinking it might be a good idea to help me hide everything away from prying 17-month old fingers and give me a boost in image quality at the same time...

But then, I was reading about matching the output resolution to the resolution of the digital projector and it made me wonder if there would be any image quality gains when using a CRT projector like I am - and a CRT projector that isn't able to take progressive scan at that!?

Any clues?

2. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi TFB

plenty of people use HTPCs to get great results with CRT projectors. What make/model is it?

3. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    I'd expect that if it can't take a progressive signal then you're going to be out of luck. If it can then it's worth investigating

Gordon

4. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry, I couldn't remember the model number yesterday!

Have had a look now, it's a Seleco 350. I'm 99% sure it won't take progressive as standard, but I don't know if there's some sort of plug-in module to add it on?

If it can't take progressive, there's little point in going to the expense/hassle of building an HTPC? I'm unlikely to change the projector - they don't sell too well and the amount I'd get for it now wouldn't offset the cost of an upgrade very much - so if HTPC won't make any difference, I'll stick with my current DVD player.

5. David PluggedIn

David PluggedIn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I dont think there is anything that can be done with that model An HTPC would give you other HTPC features of course such as convergence (no, not that kind of convergence, the 'many devices in one box' kind :))
    But realistically, as you looking for PQ improvements then the HTPC wont be able to help I'm afraid..

6. TheFatBoy

TheFatBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I wonder if there's a way of getting progressive into the PJ... IIRC, the next model up (SVP400?) could take progressive but was the same as the 350 apart from that - perhaps I could buy a 400 with busted tubes and swap over the other bits...

I think I'll stick a post in the CRT section and see if anyone's got any ideas :D