Answered Upgrade to Denon 3400h from Sony STRDG820...

prvjoker

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Don't laugh. My AVR is olllld and I know it. It has served me very well but now I'm thinking about upgrading.

Thing is I looked at Wattage rating for these AVR's side by side and am really wondering...is it bloody worth it? I watch a lot of movies (30%)/sports (70%) and play games but realistically it's all 5.1 DTS or DD stuff. I'm not even aiming for 4k ATMOS yet simply because there isn't enough content around and I am not rebuying my entire bluray collection just yet.

So in my head component wise the difference or rather leap, should be huge sonically right but will I really notice? Like £550 notice? I'm in no rush, just want to buy something I don't need haha!

Hi, Don't get to wrapped up in what the wattage says. Sony have been playing catch up since they stopped producing the original ES series of AV Pre-Power solutions. Pound for pound, the Denon will be a better bet than the Sony ever was. Having owned the old ES Series and seeing how Sony plagiarised its own name with AV receivers is shambolic. At least their projectors are still worthy the name.

You can expect a nice upgrade with both music and movies.

Agreed. I still have my old Sony 3500ES in the bedroom. The Denon 4400 sounds better. Audyssey does good things to the bass in my room.

Agree with the above, the 3400 will perform well. You may very well hear a difference with blu rays as the new amp will give access to the HD audio formats of DTS HD and Dolby TrueHD. With Audyssey you will get a very good room correction system, which again could improve audio performance from the Sony.

ok cheers. I'm off to research 3400 vs 4400.

ok cheers. I'm off to research 3400 vs 4400.
If your only staying at 5.1 I would get the 3400 and save the money over a 4400.
In fact you could even consider the 2400 and save even more.
My view is go for the 3400. I have it and its great.

Stepping down to the 2400 would be a lower version of Audyssey and no pre-outs.

Also, consider the Marantz SR6012, very similar receiver but better for 2 channel music.

If your only staying at 5.1 I would get the 3400 and save the money over a 4400.
In fact you could even consider the 2400 and save even more.
My view is go for the 3400. I have it and its great.

Well my plan is to Futureproof for at least next 5 years and since the 4k TV will be next I want to make sure the AVR is specced for that and UHD.

Serious question now..I'm hearing the 4400 runs hot. Do you 4400 owners keep it in a cabinet with fan? Is it really that hot? I did not plan for this in my build..

All of the modern Denons run a toasty, as do in fairness many other makes. Good ventilation is a must around the sides and especially above. Many use fans within a confined cabinet. The receivers have Eco systems built in which you can employ and this does help to reduce the heat, I use Eco Auto on my 6200, and all have safety shut down which will kick in before any damage is done.

Well my plan is to Futureproof for at least next 5 years and since the 4k TV will be next I want to make sure the AVR is specced for that and UHD.

Serious question now..I'm hearing the 4400 runs hot. Do you 4400 owners keep it in a cabinet with fan? Is it really that hot? I did not plan for this in my build..

The 3400h and the 4400h are basically the same, they will both run 5.1, but the 4400h can run an additional 4 atmos speakers overhead; whereas the 3400h can only run 2.

I would save the money and get the 3400h personally.

I have the 3400h and it runs hot in the cabinet (as do all Denons). So I ordered usb 120cm dual fans. Keeps it cool and runs quiet.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'm going with the 4400 so I can go to . 4 in future. Won't be putting it in a cabinet though.

Thanks all. I'm going with the 4400 so I can go to . 4 in future. Won't be putting it in a cabinet though.

It's a great time to buy the 4400h as there is a great price reduction at the moment. I'd buy sooner, rather than later, before all the stock disappears.

It's a great time to buy the 4400h as there is a great price reduction at the moment. I'd buy sooner, rather than later, before all the stock disappears.

It's coming tomorrow YEHBABY!

I’ve had an Strdg820 for a good few years now used for a/v but I’ve moved my “home cinema” to the lounge and now only use it with a pair of Mission M73i’s. I’ve recently invested in a Sony pshx500 turntable and an Edwards Audio phono amp. I dhave my think I’m doing these justice but not sure if I should get new speakers or amp first ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom