1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to Denon 2802. Is this the best way to connect?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Monster, May 5, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've currently got a Sony STRDB940 and I have never bothered with the On Screen Display or component (as in each source) switching, having connected the DVD (Tosh 210) direct to the TV (Tosh 36ZP18P) via component and the VCR (Panny 610) direct to Scart 2 of the TV. X-Box is connected to Scart 1 RGB.

My 2802 arrives on Wednesday and I would be grateful of any comments on the way I propose to connect.

VCR Scart ----> Receiver S-Video In
    VCR Audio out ---->Receiver audio In
    DVD Component out---->Receiver Component In
    Receiver Component out ---->TV Component IN
    Receiver S-Video Out ---->TV Scart 2
    RF Ariel---->VCR---->TV RF In
    DVD Analogue Out---->Receiver CD In
    Xbox---->TV Scart 1 RGB

I think this should be ok but i have never used an amp to pass video signals through.

If the TV & VCR are compatible with Q-link will this still work with the signal going through the amp?

If anyone has any comments on this, they would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is the Panasonic VCR a hi band model. If it is only an ordinary VCR there will be no s-video signal output so you cannot connect to the s-video terminal on the receiver.

If you have been happy connecting direct to source in the past why do you want to change now. It means some degradation of the signal and extra cable.

3. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Ian

It is a standard video (not SVHS or digital). I wondered whether getting a scart to S-video lead would allow me to connect the VCR to the receiver so that I could use the component switching. I just fancied this for convenience. Is the reduction in picture quality noticeable, in particular using a component signal?

The amp needs to be connected to the TV to display the on screen menus. From what I have read the 2802 will not show the On Screen Display via the component lead. It only works through the S-video and composite connections. In which case, should I connect an SVideo to Scart cable from receiver to TV in order for this to work?

Thanks for you comments so far.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Although there must be some signal degradation when routing video signals through an amp I doubt whether it is noticeable on a TV.

For OSD just connect an old phono that you have lying around to the composite input on the front of the TV to set everything up and then disconnect afterwards for the sake of tidiness.

If the OSD won't work on the front AV sockets disconnect the VCR scart and use that instead.

To save one press on the remote to switch audio you are going to have to buy a further three component cables to connect from the amp from the TV which makes it an expensive luxury.

Save the money and put it towards a Pronto instead :) :)

5. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Monster, there's no real point in routing all this through your new amp... unnecessary complications.

qlink only works with scarts.
    stick to what you have currently.. (no digibox by the way?)

you cant plug a svideo to scart cable into your vcr like that... doesn't work.

if you want to have permanent access to the onscreen menus, get a composite/video to scart and plug it into the back of the vcr - you should have a spare scart by my reckoning.

failing that, for temporary use... if you have front/side inputs on the Tosh TV, use any phono cables you have lying around. just plug the same colour end into both amp & tv.

6. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks Guys.

So its a composite from the receiver to the input scart on the VCR?
    Sorry if this is a dumb question but is the VCR to TV via scart a composite connection?

I take it that this means the OSD is displayed via the VCR into Scart 2 of the TV. That will keep TV Scart 3/front inputs free (for plugging in the N64). Thats great.

I'll go down that route unless I've got this wrong. I would like to keep permanent access to the OSD for tweaking changing dynamic compression etc.

Thanks again:) :) :)

7. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    The VCR will output composite video so it will be composite from VCR to receiver and again composite from receiver to TV.

You will need to buy cable with fully wired scart on one end and three phonos on the other to connect from VCR to receiver and a further cable with scart on one end and a single video phono on the other to connect from the receiver to the TV. I haven't see the latter cable for sale so you yoe will probably need two of the former and not use the two audio phonos.

8. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If I get a scart to 3-phono lead and connect the scart to the VCR and the composite phono to the composite monitor out of the receiver, will the OSD pass from receiver, through the VCR and be displayed via scart 2 of the TV? If this works I'd have permanent connected OSD and TV front inputs/Scart 3 are kept free.

I thought this was what MartinCo was getting at but I'm not sure whether the VCR will allow this.

So much for using component video switching:blush:

Please be patient with me.:(

9. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    For video switching and OSD you will connect all of your composite video sources (ie VCR) to the receiver by scart to three phono and your component sources (ie DVD) by component lead to the receiver.

You then need a phono to scart from receiver to TV to carry the composite signal and component to component from receiver to TV for the DVD video.

Are you sure that you want to do this as most of don't bother. Most connect video sources direct to TV as you do now with a single connection from monitoe out on receiver to a spare video socket on the TV for OSD

10. MartinCo

MartinCo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes, Monster. thats exactly what I was getting at.

the amp will be outputting composite to the vcr's scart.

get a scart to 3 phonos (aka composite) for the vcr,and just connect up the video one, so you can have the OSD permanently plugged in.

to be honest, you dont need to be connected permanently, its just personal preference really.

you can just use any cheap phono cables you have lying around and plug into your front TV sockets temporarily (assuming you have them).

set the amp up for delays, speakers etc then just keep the cable to one side... or use it for something else till you need it again.

the choice is yours!

11. Monster

Monster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Thanks guys.

I'll connect via the VCR.

My equipment is in a cabinet upon which the beast of a TV sits. Once all is in place, trying to get at the interconnects is very difficult without getting a hernia!

Thanks again for all your help. Its much appreciated.