Upgrade to current amp

Iaind

Established Member
Reaction score
Having upgraded my projector, acquired SKY HD and redecorated the cinema, I have now decided that I need a new AV receiver. I currently have an Onkyo 605, the sound quality of which I am more than happy with. The issue I am having is that I don't have quite enough HDMI inputs(2) and outputs(1) to run all the HDMI sources along with the PJ and TV (JVC).

I have coming in a PS3 (HDMI video+audio), SKY HD box (HDMI video and DIGITAL audio) and a Media PC (HDMI video and COAX audio). This also has a VGA connection direct to the TV for 'normal' viewing. There are other devices attatched but they are all audio only and use either the remaining digital audio inputs or standard analog inputs as their feeds.

My budget is £400 (+/- 10%) and I am looking at the Onkyo TXNR515 as a possible replacement, especially as it has x2 HDMI outputs, which to my mind would allow me to feed both the TV and the PJ with HDMI video (and audio in the case of the TV when required). I do have an HDMI splitter (as well as a 3:1 switch) than I am using, but I still find that I need to swap cables around at the back to get things to work properly. I'm not sure if this is a limitation of the amp or my wiring up of things though!

I will say that my hearing is not quite as good as it was (age rather than loud music is the cause) so sonic fidelity is not first and foremost the most important aspect of the amp, it is probably more the ease of switching between inputs without having to unplug things and muck around for half an hour, by which time the desire to watch something has passed. I am not an audiophile and as long as I can hear it okay, generally I am quite happy :)

I appreciate that the Onkyo is basically acting as a splitter with its two outputs, so is this the best amp to get, or should I look at another one and keep my current spltter in place, taking the HDMI out from the amp to the splitter. Admittedly I rarely run both the TV and PJ together as the PC should feed the TV from the VGA cable, but if they can both run at the same time it would be useful. I also currently have a 7.1 speaker set up and would look to retain that configuration. Speakers are a mish mash of Wharfedale 9's at the front, Missions and Kenwoods for the rear and an AE powered sub-woofer.

If possible I would look to buy something over the next couple of days (there is a Richer Sounds in Glasgow near where I work) as well as SuperFi on t'internet (bought my speakers from them last Monday lunchtime and they were delivered on Tuesday night so was very impressed with their service).

I am always open to suggestions - the PJ was bought after a recommendation from on here and although bought unseen I am very happy with it. I have had in the past Marantz, Kenwood and Yamaha amps as well as the current Onkyo and have been happy with all of them.

Regards
Iain

Last edited:
What speakers are you currently using?

Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 at the front + Diamond 8 Centre, very old Kenwood Surrounds + Missions (similar to fronts but can't remember the model number) + an Accoustic Energy powered sub-woofer. At some point I would like to do a complete set of speakers all the same, but as the budget for this project has been spent twice over (thank God for a hefty tax rebate from HMRC I could afford all the extras) the speaker upgrade is probably on hold until next year.

That said, I do like Wharfedales, having had them for many years and may look at setting all the speakers to be the same at the back - either 9.1's or 9.0's or possibly a full set of 10's in some combination, but as said, that will probably have to wait.

Do you listen to music much or is mainly films and tv? I only ask because some machines like the onkyos aren't great for stereo but are great for films.

Mostly films and TV - I do listen to music occasionally, but not that very often. As I mentioned previously, I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination and probably wouldn't appreciate or notice the difference with a 'music' amp as opposed to an AV amp.

Stretch that budget a little and get the Sony STRDN1030 great amp and if you have a stone audio near you its £425
Sony have come leaps and bounds Over recent years and people should take notice.

The Sony looks like a good amp, but I'm in Glasgow so don't have a Stone Audio close to me. Also just noticed the Sony shop has closed! There may be a way to do this without having to upgrade my amp by upgrading the video card in the PC to one that passes HDMI audio so I'm going to look at that option this weekend.

Although I did notice the 515 was down to £399 this week at Richer. Although they do say you are saving £100 on list, the previous price was £419, so you're actually only saving £20! Certainly within consumer law, but stretching it just a little bit methinks!

Pretty much all video cards now will pass audio via hdmi.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom