Upgrade to Bluray - Advice please?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by wulliecoutts, Feb 12, 2009.

1. wulliecoutts

wulliecoutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi everyone - Can you please express an opinion,on what i should do -
    I have presently got a 42" panasonic 1080i plasma hooked up to sky HD and a HT855 home theatre system.
    I want to add a bluray capability to this set up do I .....
    a) add a blu ray dvd player if so how do I integrate it with the home theatre and plasma as i have no spare hdmi ports left
    b) change the home theatre to a bluray one

given that I have an optical cable from the home theatre to the sky Hd ,how do I achieve sound output from the bluray player via the home theatre system?

any advice would be appreciated.

2. wulliecoutts

wulliecoutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    anyone got anything to say? -pleas:lease:e

3. cols

cols

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +517
    Buy a decent standalone blu ray player such as bdp-s550. This offers full onboard decoding of hd audio meaning if / when you upgrade your surround system it's easier to get hd audio.

I assume your skyhd is connected to tv with hdmi and surround system with optical. And i assume you have only one hdmi on your tv and only one optical input on your surround system, that's why you're stuck?

If so just get a 2 into 1 optical switch, and a 2 into 1 hdmi switch. You can then get two optical cables into your one input on the surround system, and two hdmi cables into the one input on your tv.

Your blu ray will need optical output - just connect it to tv with hdmi, and to surround with optical.

If you feel you'll need to add more devices in later, then get bigger switches, eg 3 into 1.

In future you might want to look at surround systems with more inputs, so more versatile, and something that'll take lpcm (uncompressed audio) over hdmi, to get hd audio from the 550.

All just my opinion of course. :smashin:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  4. wulliecoutts

wulliecoutts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    thanks - good knowledge you have imparted on me !
    BTW The plasma has 2 hdmi's - I have the home theatre in HDMI 1 and SKY HD in HDMI 2.
    and yes your right i have the optical cable running to the HT855 fromthe sky HD Box.

thanks again.. anyone else reading this post have you got a similar set up to me?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009