Upgrade to a media player?

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by bobnudd, Jan 5, 2012.

1. bobnudd

bobnudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I own a Panasonic TX-L42E30B and I stream using a synology ds109 the problem I have is that the movies I stream every so often become blocky, it's as if the previous frame is still on the screen and then it showns the next one, I have tested 3 movies so far: Cars, Bolt and beauty and the beast, these are all 1080p MKV files, avatar will play then sometimes not and I cannot fast forward this movie when I does decide to play. When I stream the movies to my Dell XPS L702X it works 100%

What I am wondering should I update to a media player to overcome this issue let the media player do the work then just output it to my TV, I was thinking of getting one that has a internal hard drive but then can't I just use the ds109 to steam to the media player then to my TV or would it be better to just stick the movies on a internal hard drive and get rid of the ds109 all together.

Thanks

Bob

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    A simple WDTV Live or DuneTV would the job, the poor image quality is likely down to the Panasonic media player who are known for having a bad player.

You could still stream from the NAS with the media player, if you wanting something with an internal HDD option there are players like the AC Ryan PlayOnHD 2 that would also suffice.

3. bobnudd

bobnudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does WDTV / DuneTV support streaming from a NAS box?

4. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +291
    Are you sure it's not a network issue?

5. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +931
    yes, its their main purpose as well as playing local (or locally attached) content

6. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,053
    It is possible but only if he's running a wireless network, Panasonic only allow DLNA media sources and Synology NAS cannot transcode video so it's either the wireless network or the Panasonic media player.

But his PC I presume if on wireless plays the same files fine so could be the wireless in the Panasonic TV is not good enough.

If it's ethernet network then it's the Panasonic media player likely at fault.

7. bobnudd

bobnudd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I ran the same files on my laptop and it's all fine, so I doubt it's a network issue, what is also strange is that the image problem always appears at the same point in the movie so I am guessing it's a problem with the TV.

I don't use wireless, the router is 3 foot away from the TV and the DS109

8. NX3

NX3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I've seen similar on a Sony where the bitrate gets very high, picture breaks on, usually fast moving and / or detailed scene, running wired. TV couldn't cope basically, check the files in mediainfo and see how many reference frames they have, e.g lv 4.1 or higher?