1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade to a Denon AVR-3805 & DVD-3910?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Sparkmeister, Oct 5, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Sparkmeister

Sparkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    OK, so I've read a lot of reviews and will probably soon go looking for a demo. But should I upgrade? I figured these two bits of kit alone would effectively replace my Yamaha DSP- E800, Arcam 8/8P (Bi-amplified to Kef Q35s), Toshiba SD-210e, Marantz CD-67 SE and Denon TU-260Lii tuner. That's a total of 6 components replaced with just 2. Incidentally, both solutions cost a similar amount (£1500 for current setup, £1700 for proposed system).

My questions are:

1. How would the 2 setups compare? Obviously I get 7.1 capability with the new kit but would have to make do with 5.1 until extra speakers are bought - plus a load of extra decoding & processing options.

2. Would my existing speakers cope? (details in my signature)

3. Anyone got any tips for combatting the degradation of sound quality experienced since moving to a house with laminate flooring?

2. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At the risk of going OT, getting rid of carpet and having laminate flooring was the biggest downgrade I have ever had :thumbsdow :thumbsdow
    Plenty of rugs and soft furnishings is what is needed. Minimalistic decor is just no good for Hi-Fi! :mad:

3. Sparkmeister

Sparkmeister
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

I wish I knew about this before I moved house. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I've just had to splash out on a rather big rug. :(

4. HappyLad

HappyLad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Agreed. Different hard / soft furnishings can have a drastic effect on room acoustics.
    Conventional wisdow with regards to audio breaks a system down into 3 components: Source, amplification and speakers.
    However, the 4th component in a system is the room its being played in and this is just as important in its effect on performance as the other 3 components.

I can't comment on the Denon vs Arcam/Marantz kit you describe.
    But I can say that, when listening to CD's only, the performance of my Sony 930 DVD & Denon 3805 amp can't compare to the results I had with a 7 year old Cyrus III/PSX and Marantz CD63se.
    Different products with different design goals!

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    If music reproduction quality matters to you (as it obviously did to HappyLad) please also try to audition the Arcam DV79 and AVR300 or 250 combinations as well. Note you can also easily bi-amp a 5.1 system with either of the Arcam receivers via a set-up menu.

You'll need to do something about the laminate flooring too as others have suggested!

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Roguey

Roguey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    p.s. u can bi-amp an 3805, mine is

7. BLS

BLS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) I've just upgraded to a Denon 3805 and a 2200 from a yamaha e800 and there's a big step up in the surround sound quality, plus you get useful options like a lip-sync delay and auto calibration.
    However, I'd be surprised if you get an improvement in stereo. I think if you want quality music from CDs you need a dedicated CD player and stereo amp
    2) My Q1s and Q9c seem perfectly happy for movies but you can always upgrade in the future.
    3) Laminate flooring is the work of the devil, install a nice thick carpet: warm and soft to walk/sit on, and a better sound quality too!