1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade to 64 bit

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by stegalv, Oct 24, 2005.

1. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    just a few questions for an upgrade,i am not bothered about overclocking.
    i am going for the 64 bit 939 option, is the 64 bit 3200 faster than the 3200xp that i have now?,anybody seen the asrock motherboard with the nforce 4 chipset for sale that has just been released? (i know they are a low priced board but they seem to be winning various awards, and on the overclockers forum they seem to think they are good value for money), it seems the nf4 chipset is a good one but does it really matter whch chipset is on the board?.
    just had a thought! the asrock boards have the capability of running either the 754 or 939 cpu swould i notice the difference in games if i bought a faster(say 3400) 754 over a 3200 939?

2. steve-o

steve-o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    stay with the 939 mate, that way you can upgrade to a better cpu in the future, as they arent making 754 cpu's anymore I dont think.

go for NF4 yeah, seems the best option at the moment.

3. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    Asus boards are top notch as long as you get a good one but their QC is notoriously bad. I'm not knocking them but just make sure you buy from somewhere with a decent return policy (not Ebuyer!) if you go for an Asus board as I have had half a dozen DOA boards from Asus

Personally I prefer Gigabyte and am currently building machines using Gigabyte K8 SLI boards at £56 a go from Scan (great customer service).

For a few quid more I'd recommend going for a 3500+ Venice chip, a good comprimise between Price and power, should get one of these and a decent board for £200.

4. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    thanks for the info, can anyone explain why one motherboard chipset is better than another.

5. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Im currently using an abit 939 board, it seems good qualilty has more oc options then you can shake a stick at, as well as different profiles for fan speeds ect... Rock steady performance and feature although i think its a little bit more than other brands.

6. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    i had an MSI k8n neo2 platinum nforce3 AGP board (s939). I now have a jetway A210GDMS ATi xpress 200 PCI-E board (s939)

either of them are fantastic boards, while the jetway isnt very well known. Hawever it is a pci-e board with 7.1 sound, onboard x300 graphics and a whole host of other features....for £65 delivered.

The ATi xpress200 chipset definately gets thh thumbs up from me. No chipsep drivers as such means this is the fastest booting pc i have ever seen. Not even one pass of the loading bar and im in to windows. With the pc specs in my sig, i get 26.2k in 3dmark 2001 and it can play pretty much anything i throw at it.

I would definately recommend it over anything else not jsut because of its performance and features, but because its so damn cheap. Then there's the fact jetway use all metal high quality caps on the board, and it is also a totally silent solution with no fans to worry about:)

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I've heard that the ATI boards are not quite upto the performance of the nvidia ones, but i can't remember seeing a side by side shoot out of the latest models so that could all be fanboy talk.
    That jetway sounds like a great way to build an office pc though with decent fo everything build in and cheap too ...

8. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Each to his own. The Majority of users I know prefer ASUS due to the superior performance - and the quality of the boards. I am currently using two of them. By contrast I have had nothing but bad experiences with MSI boards (7 duff ones to date!) but many people are quite happy with them.

Companies like Jetway, FIC, etc have poorer quality PCB's and as such are cheaper, are feature loaded, and offer pretty good VFM. Gigabyte as well have had periods when entire ranges have come under fire for QC problems. I however, have never had a problem with them. ABIT used to be the 'king of the boards' but the disaster they had a few years back with bad caps has done them in.

Basically, it's pot luck. I would go for either an ASUS or Gig board, and go with the best price for a 939, PCI-E, affair. Check out Toms for reviews, and the various support sites to see which boards get problems. You will find that there are problems with all chipsets (Nvidia, VIA, SIS, Intel) and most often it is user inadequacy not the hardware thats the problem. ;)

9. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I personaly wouldn't touch ECS though, poor poor quality, cheap though ...

10. Uridium

Uridium

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,858
    ECS are probably "better" than the rest of the Cheap boards (don't even consider PC Chips though, they even sound cheap and nasty!) although if you can you should really stay with Asus/Gig/MSI

Although the ECS K7S5A was probably one of the best budget SocketA boards ever

11. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    God no :eek: thats the one me and 4 friends all had every single one of us something different was wrong with it, shoddy shoddy shoddy, if you think that was good then once you buy a decent hi spec board you brain will blow!

K7S5a good :nono: :thumbsdow

12. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    Thats just not true.. I said earlier in my post the board has all metal caps, somthing which i've never seen on a motherboard before. Infact its one of the main selling points of the board.

Sounds like its translated from japanese alright, but their meaning is cleaner enough. Make no mistake, ive never seen a motherboard so well layed out, nor have i ever seen such high quality components used on a motherboard. These caps are the sort of caps im used to seeing in £1000's worth of audio mixing desk, not some £60-odd motherboard. It is better built in every way than my MSI.

13. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Here we go again............ :rolleyes: I will clarify to avoid another pedantic argument. The likes of FIC etc are famous for providing well featured boards at a premium, but the pcbs aren't generally as good quality as the top players. However, even then there is distinction as ASUS's cheaper offshoot by their own admission don't use PCB's of the same quality. Yet ASrock boards are very popular for providing good components on cheap boards.

The quality of the components also has nothing to with the the pcb itself.

I'm sure the Jetway is a good board as I went on to say. I also clarified that even the more expensive marques have their detractors.

Once again a row blows up over nothing. :rolleyes:

14. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    a row? what on earth...... you said jetway. im saying you are wrong. There is no row, but the way you are posting does nothing to help that.

So you tell me, if the components have nothing to do with the quality of the pcb (which is fine, but a 'motherboard' is more than just a pcb), what makes a quality pcb? i dont really know how i can say its better in any other way. pcb, components, whatever. You're only going to roll your eyes and tell me im starting a row.

I know what your problem is, overkill. you dont like being wrong;) Here's one for you :rolleyes:

15. stegalv

stegalv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    put the toys back in the pram gentlemen, so is the answer to my question that it dos'nt really matter which chipsets,sis,via.nf4 etc.i go for.
    also is their an increase in performance with the 64 bit 3200 over the 3200xp.
    thanks for the info everyone

16. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    im sorry for that. we've had arguments before and.....well if you search you'll see it all.

Anyway to a large extent, no it doesnt matter at all what chipset you go for. However go for either the nf3, nf4 or xpress200 chipset. No SIS or VIA at all. steer clear of those. Which board depends on what features you want. Almost all of them come with some sort of basic 5.1 sound, at least 1 100mb nice onboard (some have two, my msi had 2 1gb nics for example), and raid of some sort.

Stay away from ecs or pcchips as a rule. I wouldnt recommend asrock, though people are reporting good good stuff with these boards. MSI, DFI, Asus, Jetway, abit, sapphire.....they all produce some fantastic boards.

Finally, yes there is an increase, but its not a HUGE one. Are you prepared for a little overclocking? because if you are you can turn that 3200 venice a64 into a flying cpu that'll match an fx55 or better. Something to think about;)

17. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    if its of any use i just built 3 systems using a 3500 64 bit using a ecs motherboard 939 nforce 4 £50.00 from ebuyer 2 gb corsair value select 1 pny 6600 gt and it flys

18. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I'm not wrong. The quality of the pcb is important in everything based on one. Mobo, VGA card, etc. Too thin it overheats, not enough layers, you get problems with solder as it flexes in later life. So, it doesn't matter how good the crops (caps etc) if the soil (pcb) ain't too good! Ohhhharrr! :D

On the other issues, I took time out to check one or two. As it turns out, on the 'X' one I shouldn't have conceded so easily.......... :D ;)

The reviewers and stats may disagree. There are plenty of good boards on VIA chipsets out there, and one or decent ones on SIS. Nf3 was taken to task by some reviewers, NF4 meanwhile is great, but usually comes at a price.

Oh btw panny, this is why people don't bother responding here at times, because people tend to put down their 'faves' and diss others when they put forward an alternative view. Making it a pain for people like yourself. This isn't a swipe at anyone in particular, and it's a comment I have made to the mods in the past.

Finally, James I am NOT saying the Jetway is a bad board. Ok? :D

19. Kopite4Ever

Kopite4Ever

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Liverpool: European Capital of Football 2005/2006
    Ratings:
    +76
    im afraid overkill is spot on about this IMO.

whoever mentioned VIA isnt up to scratch is talking total nonsense i think, yes NF4 is the one to have but atm price's are silly

spot on in my experience as well got 2 asus mobo's running at the moment and wouldnt think about another brand in my next upgrades. MSI on the other hand have given me nothing but trouble for mobo and GFx cards

again: nail, head. annoys me when people ask for advice and they get some in the form of get X product ive just bought it and its great. without thought about anything else or the person's situation

20. james.miller

james.miller

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +143
    ok so show me a well recieved via board with good reviews backed up by people who own them. its not hard, is it?

Yes, you are overkill. just like you were about the s754's. Oh and it was the original nf3's that were slated. The nf3 ultra's got some good reviews, didnt they?

If they didnt, there wouldnt have been so many people ready to suggest the neo2 platinum. check other enthusiast sites:)

21. HMHB

HMHB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,956
    Well, one of my computers is still running an Asus A7V board on which I'm running 8 IDE devices without any problems since I've had it. I think that a lot of problems people had with VIA based boards was when drivers were installed wrongly (or not installed at all)