Upgrade To 50” CX802B

MarkW

Hi all, looking for advice on upgrading our 50” CX802B to a 55” without breaking the bank.

TV is situated in a North facing living room so it doesn’t get loads of natural light and when it’s good old British weather it can be quite dark. It’s mainly used for streaming (Netflix, Prime, Apple TV and Disney+) but also takes a beating with gaming which can be up to 8 hours in a day at a weekend - who doesn’t love the gaming grind! There’s no option to wall mount so I’m not considering the likes of the G1.

Options I’ve come across so far with a budget of £1200-1300:

55” C1 (currently £1119 @ R/S). I’ve read about issues with Sonos Arc which I will be picking up in Feb and possible issues with VRR using PS5. Obviously being a heavy gamer there is the possibility of burn in but I could purchase from JL and pay for the extra insurance but lose a year on guarantee compared to RS.

55” A80 (currently £1199 @ R/S). As far as I can see there is no VRR update yet and having the 802B puts me off promised future updates. Only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports, Likewise the VRR for the X900 doesn’t seem to have been a roaring success. Same as above for the potential burn in.

55” QN95A for 4 HDMI 2.1 port or QN94A for 2 HDMI 2.1 ports (currently £1279 and £1259 via EPP). This was the TV I was waiting for this year but I’ve read of so many issues with HDMI 2.1 (particularly with the QN95A) I’m more inclined to go with the OLEDs above although, that said, an LED may be preferred in my sometimes dark living room? Obviously only 2 HDMI 2.1 ports in the QN94A.

im obviously happy to consider alternatives but it’s taken me about four months to get to this list of three. There’s nothing wrong with the 802b so I’m in no mad rush to buy but would hope any of the three above would give me an improvement on what is already a good picture and the new TV stand won’t arrive for a couple of days anyway!

Thank you and over to you……

Dodgexander

You should figure out whether burn in risk is really a factor for you since it has little to do with whether you play games or not, but more to do with the type of games (or video) displayed on the TV.

Since you seem like an avid gamer though it's really hard to look past the LG C1 since their TVs pack so many game-centred features. Samsung models are decent too, but an LCD TV is a different beast entirely, so you can expect the usual differences associated with using LCD tech instead of OLED for gaming such as more motion blur and motion smearing in dark to bright transitions.

What issues have you read about btw? Every TV will have reported problems, but sometimes it's not the TV that has the problem, but the source device or even the particular user/unit.

MarkW

Thanks for your reply Dodge.

The games played do vary as both I and the wife are keen gamers so some have HUDs and some don’t. I’m currently playing Ghosts of a Tsushima to death and she has restarted Death Stranding so no real HUD to speak of for me. That said I’m a keen COD player which obviously does have a HUD and when I play that it’s for long periods.

The issues with the Samsung are probably best described as dropouts, both screen and sound, which seem to mainly relate to the QN95 which could suggest an issue with the one connect box? Plenty of posts here about the issue:

This year seems to have been a bit of a lottery with TVs in regards DSE, panels, etc but obviously it’s difficult to gauge as one dissatisfied post could be worth one thousand happy customers that haven’t posted on a forum.

The C1 could potentially be the best of the shortlist although I need to do some comparison on the 802B brightness and the C1.

MarkW

You should figure out whether burn in risk is really a factor for you since it has little to do with whether you play games or not, but more to do with the type of games (or video) displayed on the TV.

Since you seem like an avid gamer though it's really hard to look past the LG C1 since their TVs pack so many game-centred features. Samsung models are decent too, but an LCD TV is a different beast entirely, so you can expect the usual differences associated with using LCD tech instead of OLED for gaming such as more motion blur and motion smearing in dark to bright transitions.

What issues have you read about btw? Every TV will have reported problems, but sometimes it's not the TV that has the problem, but the source device or even the particular user/unit.
Incidentally is there much difference between the CX and the C1? Costco have the CX at £870!

Dodgexander

I think the flicker is likely caused by VRR, seems to be a common problem with all HDMI 2.1 TVs. Although I don't think everyone has the problem...and the QN95A has a different chip from the QN94A which is why the TV has different HDMI ports and the connect box.

LG certainly seem to have less bugs than Samsung, so if OLED is the way you want to go the C1 or CX are fine TVs.

It's not necessarily about huds with burn in, but more the brightness or colour. Call of duty may have huds but they tend to be lighter in colour and sometimes even transparent. A game like FIFA would be riskier in the long term since scoreboards and menus full of bright colours repeated over and over again will degrade pixels fast.

So really it depends on what you have in mind to play, and whether those games have bright static elements, especially ones with colour.

No real difference between the C1 and CX from a picture quality perspective. Newer C1 has some bells and whistles like adjustable gamma to reduce flicker in dark scenes in VRR and more up to date smart TV with UK catchup apps.

CX uses the older WebOS, but I've been told it actually runs faster, but lacks UK catchup apps.

Always a good idea to look at making a saving on last years models compared to this years, will mean you can put the money toward upgrading later, sooner.

MarkW

Cheers Dodge and that makes a bit more sense now. Just need to check out the current batch of games but I don’t recall a HUD like the one‘s you’re referring to - no FIFA in this house!

MarkW

I think the flicker is likely caused by VRR, seems to be a common problem with all HDMI 2.1 TVs. Although I don't think everyone has the problem...and the QN95A has a different chip from the QN94A which is why the TV has different HDMI ports and the connect box.

LG certainly seem to have less bugs than Samsung, so if OLED is the way you want to go the C1 or CX are fine TVs.

It's not necessarily about huds with burn in, but more the brightness or colour. Call of duty may have huds but they tend to be lighter in colour and sometimes even transparent. A game like FIFA would be riskier in the long term since scoreboards and menus full of bright colours repeated over and over again will degrade pixels fast.

So really it depends on what you have in mind to play, and whether those games have bright static elements, especially ones with colour.

No real difference between the C1 and CX from a picture quality perspective. Newer C1 has some bells and whistles like adjustable gamma to reduce flicker in dark scenes in VRR and more up to date smart TV with UK catchup apps.

CX uses the older WebOS, but I've been told it actually runs faster, but lacks UK catchup apps.

Always a good idea to look at making a saving on last years models compared to this years, will mean you can put the money toward upgrading later, sooner.
Cheers Dodge. Just ordered the C1 for just over £1k as hoping for the Sony VRR update on the PS5 soon.

Your help is much appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom