Upgrade to 5.2.4......

Gaz RSVR

Established Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone, I hope you all had a great Christmas or enjoyed some much needed time off from work!

OK so I've been in my new house with the family around 18 months and have been given the green light to finally change the front room around and have a bit more of a dedicated cinema system, all be it with a new TV and speakers.. not allowed a projector! The room is 5m x 4m with 2.5m ceiling height, we will sit central across the 4m span with approx 0.5m from back wall, building a false chimney for tv.

I've already decided on a bigger oled currently got a 55 a1 oled and going to a 65 oled will be sony again and making a false chimney breast to mount the TV and install centre channel, will be approx 3m viewing distance.

I'm currently running 6 apex a10s with 2 as front height and 1 a40 for centre. With svs sb2000 sub from a denon avrx 4400.
I want to go more cinema dedicated, 100% films and TV, (never listen to music in here, we have speakers in the kitchen and spend a lot of time in there, a1 is also moving to kitchen), looking at changing front LCR and installing in ceiling .4, the Mrs doesn't like the height speakers!

Now I'm looking at mk LCR 950
XTZ cinema m6 LCR
Arendal 1723s LCR
Or stay monitor audio and go silver 300 with c350?
Or any recommendations????
I will be floorstanding the front left and right so either stand mounts or floorstanders,
I will be getting another sb2000 sub in future and possibly change my surround from apex a10 to whichever brand LCR I get..
Atmos looking at ma 265 idc x 4??
Also looking at iota 7 channel power amp or emotiva xpa 5 channel?? with the denon for atmos only..
Biggest issue is not currently able to demo but want a significant upgrade from the apex which are very good speakers..
Any recommendations to the above speakers and amp??

Forgot to add, I've got approx 5k to include LCR, atmos and amp..

Hey Gaz! I wonder why projector is not allowed? I mean you could have tv + projector so that the screen is on ceiling and drops in front of tv via remote. This way you could perhaps keep old Oled for tv programs and screen for movies. I need to remind that big screen is the biggest change you can make toward real cinematic feeling. The 65" tv isn´t going to give you that. It´s just whole different experience when the lights go out and you have +100" screen dinosauruses running in your room! Maybe you need to buy few more jewels for wife and tell her that the screen goes up after watching and isn´t really much visible on ceiling. Bit strange if you can get large speakers there, but no screen + projector. Well you do what you can, just a heads up cause sooner or later you will get a feel of big screen and then you would be thinking what have i done with tv`s all these years. If you can´t get her to accept personally i would consider 75-82" tv, the first mentioned should be absolute minium for 3meter distance.

TV Screen sizeViewing distance range for 4K
40"3.3-5 feet
43"3.6-5.4 feet
50"4.2-6.3 feet
55"4.6-6.9 feet
60"5-7.5 feet
65"5.4-8.1 feet
70"5.8-8.75 feet
75"6.3-9.4 feet
80"6.7-10 feet
85"7.1-10.6 feet

You don´t have to buy everything right away, example you can get away without poweramp for some time if that money can be used better elsewhere first. Second sub or larger tv (!) first! Seeing how people have moved from M&K S150 and XTZ M6 to Arendal 1723 S it`s probably one of the strongest option. LCR950 from the feedback is not same level to XTZ and Arendals, so you would be looking the latest S150/MP150 mk3 from M&K. If you don´t listen music and the looks aren´t that important, there is less reasons to look for mainstream hifi speakers as many members have moved from KEF R/MA Silver/Golds etc to XTZ and Arendals, and found them to be on another level with movies!

There is also the Monoprice THX Ultra range if it comes available next month. Again these have been found to be step up from M&Ks @Jase mentioned few times and one member swapped MA Apex range to these. Naturally you wouldn´t connect the upfiring modules as you have option to go with overhead speakers!

Mains:

Centre:

Surround sides:

Hi Gasp,

I hope you are keeping well..

Awesome info as usual thank you! Might have to look into projectors again and see what I can get away with lol.. tbh I really like the a1 and would happily keep it in the living room if I could swing the projector but I really don't know anything about them!

The arendal 1723s seem to have very good reviews that was one of my original choices, I would be looking at the monitors and place them on stands left and right, is there anyone in the UK that supplies these? I can only find them direct from arendal.. if I was to go this way what atmos would you recommend? Would my denon 4400 be able to power these or would I need a power amp straight away?

I have also looked at the monoprice speakers and they are cheaper than the 1723s how would they compare?? Can't find any direct comparison with them..

Thanks again Gaz

Hi Gasp,

I hope you are keeping well..

Awesome info as usual thank you! Might have to look into projectors again and see what I can get away with lol.. tbh I really like the a1 and would happily keep it in the living room if I could swing the projector but I really don't know anything about them!

The arendal 1723s seem to have very good reviews that was one of my original choices, I would be looking at the monitors and place them on stands left and right, is there anyone in the UK that supplies these? I can only find them direct from arendal.. if I was to go this way what atmos would you recommend? Would my denon 4400 be able to power these or would I need a power amp straight away?

I have also looked at the monoprice speakers and they are cheaper than the 1723s how would they compare?? Can't find any direct comparison with them..

Thanks again Gaz

Yeah i haven´t kept on of new projectors either. Best to ask here if you decide to go that route. Just make a thread saying you are considering projector against OLED and what kind of budget would be needed for decent model.

I think you need to order Arendals straight from their site. There is small extra now to price, was it 3,5% due to Brexit. @DodgeTheViper had those MA ceiling speakers with Arendals, but i think as he blasts louder the smaller 6,5" model was not able to hold up, there is also 8" version. Dodge can give you some other recommendations.

We have members who are driving the Arendal system with lower range / similar receivers so i would say no you don´t require poweramp right away. Would you benefit from one, surely if you listen loud and power 9channels with receiver. But as i said that money could be used elsewhere now and later getting the poweramp, example another SB2000 (699£ on sale, you could possibly get for 650£ if you contact American Audio asking little discount for AVF member).

I`m fairly sure no one has heard both speakers in same room yet! Everything is bit open with Monoprice due to Brexit. Next month they supposed to get shipping to Uk, but you have to ask from them.. They do offer discount codes also so yeah the prices are silly low for both subwoofers and speakers!

I'm going to start another thread regarding projector and screen..

also going to do a bit more research on both the arendal and monoprice speakers and send a couple of emails to see when they will be back on sale here and cost to ship etc, I've seen the 1961 range from arendal, seem smaller than the 1723s and get good reviews but not sure how they would stack up against th1723s?

Good to know the 4400 will be OK for now, that means I can put my money elsewhere first and keep my eyes out for a power amp in the future..

Yeah i haven´t kept on of new projectors either. Best to ask here if you decide to go that route. Just make a thread saying you are considering projector against OLED and what kind of budget would be needed for decent model.

I think you need to order Arendals straight from their site. There is small extra now to price, was it 3,5% due to Brexit. @DodgeTheViper had those MA ceiling speakers with Arendals, but i think as he blasts louder the smaller 6,5" model was not able to hold up, there is also 8" version. Dodge can give you some other recommendations.

I did have the MA In-Ceilings but they didn’t really do it for me, possibly due to the design, I don’t know. It was like they sounded muffled and the sound was behind a blanket or kind of in the distance.

I did change them for something from OSD Audio but they’re a little hard to get here unfortunately.

I'm looking more towards the arendal 1723s monitors, I need to get an email to them regarding availability, price etc.. they seem quite a big speaker and doesn't look like they supply a dedicated stand for left and right fronts would any speaker stand work? Or do I need the top plate same size as speaker base?
Also what in ceiling atmos speakers would you recommend?
Cheers

Moseco with large top plate (240 x 280) or SLX could probably do fine, Dodge linked the first one earlier. Arendal used quite basic nordic stands with monitor S when i asked about upcoming stands. Something with decent width and depth would be my pick though, not just for the safety but also how they look together. SLX are built like tank. They went with different name when i had one years ago. So heavy and sturdy! It´s a really shame they didn´t get the stands figured out earlier cause you are not the only one who is worried about that.

American Audio could probably get the same ceiling speakers @DodgeTheViper has. They have some models here:

Another option would be KEF who has one of the best expertise with coaxial drivers. The THX range should easily hold up with Arendals if not the cheaper QR 8" model.

Moseco with large top plate (240 x 280) or SLX could probably do fine, Dodge linked the first one earlier. Arendal used quite basic nordic stands with monitor S when i asked about upcoming stands. Something with decent width and depth would be my pick though, not just for the safety but also how they look together. SLX are built like tank. They went with different name when i had one years ago. So heavy and sturdy! It´s a really shame they didn´t get the stands figured out earlier cause you are not the only one who is worried about that.

American Audio could probably get the same ceiling speakers @DodgeTheViper has. They have some models here:

Another option would be KEF who has one of the best expertise with coaxial drivers. The THX range should easily hold up with Arendals if not the cheaper QR 8" model.

Awesome info again thank you! I'll have a look at these links now... I'm pretty sure it'll be the 1723s that I get and build my system around these👍

Just for info, these are the ones I have.

Awesome thanks, I'll have a look now👍

So just an update, after reading through the arendal 1723 thread I've decided on 1723 s towers with 1723 s centre, I'll be going with the towers as I think they look so much better than monitors on stands... not a fan of any stands I've seen. Shame arendal don't make a dedicated stand for the monitor!
The towers will more than likely change my mind on not listening to music in the living room (mostly listen to music in the kitchen) reading through the thread people seem to listen to a lot more music after adding towers..
Now need to look at in ceiling speakers and make a decision there!
Also will be running 2 a10s as surround see how they sound but more than likely these will also be changed for arendal in the future..

Thanks again guys for the advice👍

So just an update, after reading through the arendal 1723 thread I've decided on 1723 s towers with 1723 s centre, I'll be going with the towers as I think they look so much better than monitors on stands... not a fan of any stands I've seen. Shame arendal don't make a dedicated stand for the monitor!
The towers will more than likely change my mind on not listening to music in the living room (mostly listen to music in the kitchen) reading through the thread people seem to listen to a lot more music after adding towers..
Now need to look at in ceiling speakers and make a decision there!
Also will be running 2 a10s as surround see how they sound but more than likely these will also be changed for arendal in the future..

Thanks again guys for the advice👍

Arendal do make a dedicated stand for the monitor. 1723 Stand - arendalsound.com

Arendal do make a dedicated stand for the monitor. 1723 Stand - arendalsound.com
They do indeed but I'm looking at getting the 1723S the smaller brother.. they don't make a dedicated stand for the smaller monitors, shame as they look really good too 👍 thanks for the heads up and link..

Just thought I would update the post and let you know I've finally ordered some new speakers and tv.. I've got the 65 a8 oled along with arendal 1723s towers, 1723s centre and 4x kef 160qr ceiling speakers, I'm currently getting on with the false wall build and cable routing, eagerly awaiting my new gear to arrive..

Thanks for the great advice as always.

I'll get photos of the build and post it up once completed 👍

Cheers Gaz

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom