Upgrade to 4k projector : TW7000 TW7100 or TW9400 ?

k995

Hi,

As we watch more and more content thats avaible in 4k i think its time to upgrade from my Epson tw-6600 (hc 3600 in the US I believe).
The distance to the screen is 5.5+m (18+feet) just about the only affordable option is Epson (and its the third and we have always been happy with them) .

Now the choices seem :
epson tw-7000 (3200 in the US) for about 300 euro upgrade-cost (I can get this on new rather cheap)
Epson tw-7100 (3800 in the US) for about 700 euro upgrade-cost
Epson tw-9400 (6050ub in the US) for about 1500 euro upgrade-cost

The issue is this :

Property Building Couch Television Table

The screen is a Draper react II ALR screen (as we sometimes watch during the day), screen, walls and windows will remain as they are.
Question : is it then worth it to upgrade to a 9400 or even the 7100? The cost doesnt really matter only if it gives no to barely any effect I wont waste the money on it .
Viewing is about 50/50 with light coming in and without in more or less darkness.

I looked in most threads on these projectors here but havent really found an answer to this.

Boris Blank

You are basically moving from a 2015 era projector to (in the case of the 9400) a fairly recent modern 4K(lite) pj - I think you will notice a big difference! I've not really been in to projectors for a while but they have steadily improved over a long period and the 6 year gap will likely be an eye-opener. 6 years ago we didn't have 4k, nor HDR, nor decent black levels nor full fat HDMI, better processing etc etc.

The 9400 is not a true 4k projector but have a read of the review here as its not really an issue Epson EH-TW9400 Projector Review and have a think but honestly my advice would be if you are happy to stick to Epsom and it meets your requirements then go to straight to the 9400 (barring any newer model that might be in the works).

You've got a great setup there, it and you deserves a better pj. Really, its a no brainer. As always, if you can get a demo of the 9400 (or whatever you decide upon, 7400 maybe) first, thats the best way to go.

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy!

k995

You are basically moving from a 2015 era projector to (in the case of the 9400) a fairly recent modern 4K(lite) pj - I think you will notice a big difference! I've not really been in to projectors for a while but they have steadily improved over a long period and the 6 year gap will likely be an eye-opener. 6 years ago we didn't have 4k, nor HDR, nor decent black levels nor full fat HDMI, better processing etc etc.

The 9400 is not a true 4k projector but have a read of the review here as its not really an issue Epson EH-TW9400 Projector Review and have a think but honestly my advice would be if you are happy to stick to Epsom and it meets your requirements then go to straight to the 9400 (barring any newer model that might be in the works).

You've got a great setup there, it and you deserves a better pj. Really, its a no brainer. As always, if you can get a demo of the 9400 (or whatever you decide upon, 7400 maybe) first, thats the best way to go.

Whatever you choose, good luck and enjoy!

Thx

Still doubting between the 7400 & 9400 . Just wondering how dark it has to be to get the full effect of the 9400 .

dantaito

Standard Member
I'm also very interested here. I have a 6600 and have been keeping a close eye on the 9400 owners thread and Epson's next move for my next upgrade

I would love some detailed feedback about what real world benefit I could expect from moving up from the 6600 to the 9400 or the new lasers. I'm craving better blacks the most.

I watch mostly from my Apple TV 2021 4k with a hard wired fibre HDMI.

My room is a 4m x 4m, light controlled and has almost black walls. My screen is approx 128".

Thanks in advance for any feedback here.

Spike 2013

Been looking to upgrade myself only have a 720P DLP projector that's about 8 years old but hardly been used.

But now that have a good light controlled room to use have been reading up on projectors for last few months the Epson 7400 or 9400 is the lowest in price I'm prepared to go, either one is great value for the money the highest is JVC N5 at £6500 which makes the Epsons look like a bargain.
Also Epson new LS12000 laser projectors interest me but could be waiting months/ 2022 sometime to be in retail stores near me.

Can't make my mind up though thinking the Epson 9400 is going to be more then good enough for my needs, waiting on Black Friday sales in late November to look for a good deal.

Last edited:

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Thx

Still doubting between the 7400 & 9400 . Just wondering how dark it has to be to get the full effect of the 9400 .
If you hadn’t had an ALR screen I would have probably said the 7400 would have been good enough but with that screen you should notice the difference in black levels, especially at night with blinds closed and lights off.

I’m not going to say that native 4K doesn’t have slight difference but if you sit roughly 1ft per 10” of the diagonal of the screen away then you can’t see the increased resolution from native 4K but the actual image looks calmer and in my experience that the main difference.

For the money I don’t think there’s anything to beat the 9400, there is better of that there is no doubt but the improvement in performance gets less and the cost to achieve it gets greater. I imagine the new LS12000 will be better at most things but it’s £1800 more and the N5 (if you can get one) is even more.

For the money the 9400 is I have no doubt you will be impressed and the same will be true for any of the dearer machines it’s really up to you just how much you want to spend.

k995

I'm also very interested here. I have a 6600 and have been keeping a close eye on the 9400 owners thread and Epson's next move for my next upgrade

I would love some detailed feedback about what real world benefit I could expect from moving up from the 6600 to the 9400 or the new lasers. I'm craving better blacks the most.

I watch mostly from my Apple TV 2021 4k with a hard wired fibre HDMI.

My room is a 4m x 4m, light controlled and has almost black walls. My screen is approx 128".

Thanks in advance for any feedback here.
Well the 6600 wasnt too bad for blacks, the 9400 seems for me a slight improvement there(but I dont have a totaly blackened room) but the sharper 4K does make quite a difference imho.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Well the 6600 wasnt too bad for blacks, the 9400 seems for me a slight improvement there(but I dont have a totaly blackened room) but the sharper 4K does make quite a difference imho.
The dynamic Iris on the 9400 actually works so I think you will find the blacks to be a noticeable improvement, but it’s the image crispness that’s the real treat in my opinion. All my images don’t capture the detail I see with my eyes but they do mostly capture the shadow detail that’s present on the screen. Admittedly my room is a fully treated velour bat cave and using a grey screen though not an ALR.

I’ve enjoyed almost 3 trouble less years with mine and it’s been a total joy.

dantaito

Standard Member
After speaking to @ricky at Kalibrate (Who is so knowledgeable and helpful) I have actually paid a deposit on an ex demo N5.

It just feels like the automatic DTM, clarity, contrast and blacks are worth paying the extra for.
He also advised me that the N5‘s are proving very difficult to find and a replacement (while rumoured) is not necessarily confirmed for next year.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Yeah @Rickyj at Kalibrate is hard to beat, if he can do the deal he will plus super helpful. BTW heard exactly the same thing about the N5 and it's possible replacement, would not be at all surprised if it doesn't appear until this time next year at the earliest.

Though even second hand the N5 might be a bit of a push for the OP as it's still significantly dearer than the 9400 would be new

k995

After speaking to @ricky at Kalibrate (Who is so knowledgeable and helpful) I have actually paid a deposit on an ex demo N5.

It just feels like the automatic DTM, clarity, contrast and blacks are worth paying the extra for.
He also advised me that the N5‘s are proving very difficult to find and a replacement (while rumoured) is not necessarily confirmed for next year.
Well I dont have a dark enough room to justify going any higher imho.

I went for the tw9400 , happy with it. Much better then the previous tw6600

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Well I dont have a dark enough room to justify going any higher imho.

I went for the tw9400 , happy with it. Much better then the previous tw6600
You will be happy it’s a cracking machine.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom