Answered Upgrade Time, Thoughts and Input?

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by Darkeshi, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Darkeshi

Darkeshi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Good Afternoon All,

Currently sitting on my old 5.1 KEF Eggs 2005.3 K2 (KEF KHT2005.3 review)

Looking for an upgrade that I will notice, my current issues are mediocre center speaker voice clarity, no overall wow factor despite their rave reviews, sub also now humming annoyingly.

I was either looking at replacing the Center and front L/R speakers with KEF Q500's and Q200c and possibly the Q400 sub although I am reading their are better subs to be had for the same or less money, or replacing the whole lot with MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE B5 5.1 Black (Monitor Audio BRONZE B5 5.1 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds).

Any thoughts?

Best Regards,
    Matt

2. Best Answer:
    Post #2 by gibbsy, Jan 9, 2017 (1 points)
  3. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,245
    Best Answer
    You can keep the eggs on surrounds for a while, which is exactly what I did for almost a year. Forget the KEF sub, far better out there. It's your choice of the front three that is going to make the biggest difference, but how far do you want to push it. The Q series will certainly improve over the eggs and Q500/200 will set you back a fairly modest £550.

To get great sound, which I have compared, the R300 even coupled with the R200 centre will far out perform the Q line up. But you would need to spend three times as much, four times more if you went for the excellent R500s instead of the 300s.

You could follow the route I took. I purchased a pair of R100s along with a R200 centre, a big imorovement from my 3005 eggs. A pair of eggs were left on surround duties. A year later R300s were bought for the front and the 100s relieved the eggs of their surround duties. I absolutely love the 300s especially on stereo music duties.

Good time to buy R series speakers with AudioT giving a 12.5% discount on all KEF products. Then there is the outstanding KEF LS50s to consider. I do love spending other peoples money.;)

4. Darkeshi

Darkeshi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Solid answer for sure, not heard of AudioT was only really aware of Richer Sounds and Sevenoaks.. good find not far away from me either :)

R Series, serious money but must admit I wrote them off without even verifying the cost as assumed they'd be out of my range, will check them out now ;)

5. Darkeshi

Darkeshi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Holy schmoly, yeah bit rich for my meager means at present, gorgeous no doubt but the KEF R300 alone our 1k :(

So any thoughts on KEF Q series vs Monitor Audio Bronze? More my price point, assuming they will be an upgrade to my existing eggs.

6. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,245
    I would stick with the Q range, they will at least blend with your current eggs as surrounds. The Q range does have those rather brilliant uni-q units for great sound dispersion. Who knows in the future R series as fronts complimented by Qs at the rear, good speakers will last for a long time and I do believe that the Q series is excellent value right now.

7. Darkeshi

Darkeshi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks again Gibbsy, appreciate the responses :)