Upgrade time, graphics card or CPU?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by broona, Aug 24, 2006.

1. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +707
    Current system is as follows :-

Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 1.8ghz
    2 gig (4*512mb) generic PC3200 RAM
    Silent 128mb Radeon X700 Pro

Looking at either upgrading the CPU to an X2 3800/4200, or changing the GPU to a 7600GT, just wondering which would give the greatest improvement, mainly for games, but also for a small amount of video work. :thumbsup:

2. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    A new Graphics card would make the biggest difference.

To be honest you could probably over clock that CPU to make it "keep up" with todays demands. Most AMD users have been OC'ing their CPUs (me too). Most folk say that Athlons are easy to OC.

You could at least take it to 2ghz or 2.2ghz. (if not higher, but it depends on cooling)

A new CPU wouldnt make as big a difference for gaming as say a 7900GT or X1900.

3. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    I'll go with that ... Gcard all the way. :thumbsup:

4. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +707
    Thanks, but my crappy mobo hasn't got ANY overclocking options at all, otherwise it'd have been done long ago!:(

Will look into a new GPU, and leave the CPU for a later date. :thumbsup:

PS, thanks GrahamC too. ;)

5. sibeer

sibeer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    If you want to notice the difference with games I would save a little more and look for a cheap 7900GT or second hand 7800GT. The 7600GT is only the following years midrange as compared to an X700. Whilst it is definately an upgrade, it may not be the difference you are looking for.

With regard to the CPUs, remember that the skt 939 X2 cpu's are not an infinite supply. As such if you feel you will want to upgrade before a full rebuild it is worth watching the prices carefully. If they start to look like they are moving up rather than down I would take the plunge. For the moment however you will not notice much difference between the Venice 3000+ or the X2 3800+ unless you are running multiple apps. Bring on Windows Vista 64 bit and the games of 2007 and the difference will be massive.

With regard to what X2 to go for if you can't overclock I would definately recommend the 4200+ or the 4600+. The 3800+ is no where near as much cheaper (even relatively) as it was.