1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade time again

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Numpsy, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Numpsy

Numpsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking at upgrading my old Kenwood amp to something which has support for more sound formats (DTS/DPL2 etc). I was looking at something like the denon 1905, but i might be tempted into importing a yamaha 750.

I'd like to keep the current speakers (also Kenwood) for now at least but the thing is that they use a passive sub (built into the front speaker cab), so i'd also be up for a powered sub. I didnt want to spend huge amounts of money, but something in the £200 region should be ok (e.g. the MS309?). Any thoughts in this?

I'm also wondering about upgrading from 5.1 to 6/7.1. Initially i just thought i could get an extra set of cheap rears, but now i'm thinking it might be better to get some new fronts and rearrange my existing speakers.
    Anyone have any ideas on a good upgrade path? f.y.i, the current speakers are rated at 100w/6ohms, and the rears are bipolar.

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    What exactly are you trying to change, the amp or speakers? If you can afford it the Yamaha 750 is a great amp, which should be future-proof for a while yet.

Regarding the subwoofer, look at the Wharfedale SW-150 which has been well received.

Whatever you do, try to keep the speakers of the same make & brand.

3. Numpsy

Numpsy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, i've ordered the 750 from Germany :)

The initial plan was just to upgrade the amp, but then i realised about the sub as well. I'm going to have a listen to a friends KEF PSW1000.2 in the week, but besides that the only other powered sub i have available is the logitech z560 on my pc.

Does anyone have any idea how my current kenwood speakers (s-f700, s-sr700, s-c700) compare to whats currently available?

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,005
    Sorry mate don't know about the kenwoods, best bit is to try and demo some alternatives in a similar price range to see how they fair.

Nice work on ordering the amp, I was too chicken to get mine from Germany!