1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade time (again) HELP!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasonx32, Nov 21, 2004.

1. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Really looking for peoples opinions here.
    Currently have a Sanyo Z2 which is now connected to my newly bought Denon 2910. I am very happy with the performance of the Z2, but still have the niggle of constant dust problems at the back of my mind. Currently, i'm having to clean dust blobs once every 10-14 days on the Z2 which is getting VERY annoying :mad:

Having seen the posts about the new Sony HS50, and how most people are looking forward to it with alot, would it be worth the upgrade as I understand that it has a sealed area around the main components, hence no dust blob problems.

We suffer alot from dust in our house (may be due to the fact that the roof is well over due to be done), but it is getting very tedious having to take the Z2 down off it's mount and remove the dust blobs so oftern.

Also can anyone advise me if the Sanyo Z3 has a sealed area, or if it is roughly the same as the Z2 and therefore will remain affected by dust?
    If it does, then will be looking at the HS50 and the Z3 as replacements.

Your thoughts on this would be a great help :smashin:

Jason :hiya:

2. Goof

Goof
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    IIRC the Z3 was going to use something akin to sealed optics...but not quite there (sorry, going from a vague recollection here). I'm surprised you're getting that badly effected, never heard of that type of frequency! I've got an AE300 ceiling mounted which is externally pretty dusty (I'm lazy!) but it's never made its way into the optics.

I'm getting the upgrade fever too...could be tempted by a Z2 if it was going cheap enough ;)

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The Z3 does not have sealed optics - it comes with a dust-blower (ruber bulb witha nozzle) and has access holes for you to blow the dust out.....

If you're hit by upgrade-itis, then the HS50 has to be on your shopping list........ ;)

S.

4. Oakleyspatz

Oakleyspatz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +231
    This may sound a bit obvious, but do you cover the projector when not in use with a dust cover? If not, then that will go a long way to keeping dust out of the optics. As for un upgrade for the Z2, I too would say the Sony HS50 has got to be the obvious choice!

5. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Strange, as no-one has even seen an HS50 yet :) :) :)

Is this a case of marketing power?

6. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    mike,

Not marketing..... I can't recall seeing any marketing stuff about the HS50, other than stuff from their japanese site, iirc, and that wasn't much more than pictures etc.

The reason I anticipate that the HS50 will be worth waitng for is stuff alreeady posted elsewhere on the basis of people seeing preproduction models. I know that one was demo'ed at a recent show in the USA, and was also in a shootout in Sweden, where knowledgable enthusiasts considered it as having performance close to DLP HD2 models. A number of preproduction models were also made available by Sony to Jean Patrick Grumberg of Hifissimo, an AV dealer in Paris. He also rated the projector very highly, although one of the preproduction models had some issues. I would generally not rate projectorcentral for reviews, but their comments about the HS51 (USA version) have effectively confirmed other views insofar as image performance is concerned - they characteristically devalued their review with an ill-disguised ad for iScan, and not for the first time.

Filtering info from various sources suggest that this model from Sony will represent a step-change in LCD perormance, and give the DLP sector of the industry a wake-up call. A 1280x720 LCD projector which doesn't have VB or FPN issues (and obviously rainbows or posterisation) and has image performance to challenge HD2 at effectively half (or thereabouts) the price ???? Well, a review from cine4home (or another reputable source) should tell us a lot more. The first report posted on avsforum is very promising, to say the least.

Sean G.

7. jasonx32

jasonx32
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the info guys, bit disapointed about the z3 though as it looks to be a good piece of kit and the reviews seem to do it justice.

yes, I do cover the z2 when it's not in use and it makes little difference. I generally use the z2 either every night or every other night for the duration of a film, so it's not getting over used at all.

I think that it's going to have to be the hs50, but will wait for the first uk review on this forum, as no disrespect to our american freinds, but I would prefer to see what people in this country think of the PJ under our operating conditions.
    The info over on avs is very useful and i will be keeping an eye on how hs51 owners over there are getting on with it.

Yes, this does mean that my z2 will be on the market at some point in the near future!

Cheers,

Jason

8. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    However good the Z3 is (and it is a good PJ) it has not the expectation or the anticipation of what the H50 is about to deliver.

Of course Z3 owners must be happy about their purchases, however if you are in this price bracket and are about to buy a LCD PJ IMO you would be absolutely bonkers not to be looking out for the H50. Absolutely bonkers :clown: