Upgrade speaker's

Fr4nco

Standard Member
Hi folks. I've a marantz cr412 coupled to wharfdale diamond 9.1 speakers. I would like to upgrade the speakers and understand I'll need to demo new potential speakers but i wondered if anyone can make recommendations?

tia

Orobas

Hi folks. I've a marantz cr412 coupled to wharfdale diamond 9.1 speakers. I would like to upgrade the speakers and understand I'll need to demo new potential speakers but i wondered if anyone can make recommendations?

tia
if you like the 9.1's sound... just upgrade them to the 12.2's :) Well worth a listen/demo and a very good upgrade to the 9.1 :)

Orobas

It's on the shortlist. 👍😃
Grab yourself a demo.. richer sounds or something.. and you will hear the clear difference in quality :)

Orobas

Yeah I'm going to listen to the b&w 607 s2 too.
at £440 .. i think the 607's are too much for the little marantz in my personal opinion. The marantz will hold the 607's back from sounding their best. Realistically .. you want to be in that £200-£350 max range i would have thought for speakers

Speakers found with the cr412 are the 12.2's which i mentioned.. the Dali Spektor 1or 2, Q Acoustics 3010i or the 3020 and the excellent Mission LX-2's.

I "have" seen the 607 sold as part of a kit with the 412 from Weybridge Audio ... but as i say.. I don't think the 412 is good enough for the bowers.

Orobas

What are you using?
I'm running a Roksan Kandy KA1 mk iii amp.. which to get the new equivalent today (K3) would be £1,430.. and a pair of Dynaudio DM2/6 speakers.. which to get the new equivalent today (probably the Emit M20) would be £825. All my music and streaming comes via my handbuilt custom desktop pc and a thx audio soundcard. I would be running a far better speaker but i dont have the room or neighbours to be able to get the standmount i want (evoke 20 £1,900 / special 40 £2,800)

Can't compare with the type of kit i have to what you have as the build and quality of sound/components is in a whole different league re cost of amp to speakers etc

Fr4nco

Standard Member
at £440 .. i think the 607's are too much for the little marantz in my personal opinion. The marantz will hold the 607's back from sounding their best. Realistically .. you want to be in that £200-£350 max range i would have thought for speakers

Speakers found with the cr412 are the 12.2's which i mentioned.. the Dali Spektor 1or 2, Q Acoustics 3010i or the 3020 and the excellent Mission LX-2's.

I "have" seen the 607 sold as part of a kit with the 412 from Weybridge Audio ... but as i say.. I don't think the 412 is good enough for the bowers.
Fair point on the 607s2, I've heard they're power hungry. I'll look at the other ones you've recommended too. I'm really looking for an improvement in sound. Out of interest as I'm a novice at this, if the marantz spec is 6 ohms am I better with a speaker the same?

Orobas

Fair point on the 607s2, I've heard they're power hungry. I'll look at the other ones you've recommended too. I'm really looking for an improvement in sound. Out of interest as I'm a novice at this, if the marantz spec is 6 ohms am I better with a speaker the same?
I would be using high sensitive 8ohm speakers that stay around 8ohm... (the 607's are 8ohm but drop to 4ohm at some frequencies) on your 412

6 ohm speakers are not that common or on the cheaper end of price.. Sure if you get a pair of 6ohmers you listen too and like.. sure .. it's matched. but 8 ohm are fine.. just not 4ohm speakers...

Fr4nco

Standard Member

Thanks for your help. One last thing, would the q acoustics 3030i and mission lx3 be a decent march on the cr412?

Orobas

Thanks for your help. One last thing, would the q acoustics 3030i and mission lx3 be a decent march on the cr412?
i think floorstanders are going to be too much for the 412

Orobas

Sorry I meant qx2
I would lean more to the LX-2 MK II rather than the QX ... just to save some pennies. Have a listen by all means.. it will work, its a nice speaker but there is just too much competition from better speakers aimed at higher priced amps at the QX point of £400

acgingersnaps

would the q acoustics 3030i
I used to run one of those Marantz MCR's (Definitely need sensitive speakers. They don't quote much power and what they quote is at 6 ohm if I remember rightly) with QA 2020i. Great combo. A, Marantz and QA play well in my experience. B, QA tend to be easy to drive.
The QA would be my preference. Have a look at the Concept 20. A steal at the current price.
That said, listening is subjective, so demo first, if you can.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
I agree with all the above. The Marantz is short on current for so many speakers in the £400 plus budget.

But the 9.1s can be bettered, the 12.2s, mentioned above, would be the place to go if you like the 9.1s.

Fr4nco

Standard Member
Thanks for your help all. When I ordered the marantz cr412 (£499) which was to replace an old denon dm37 the guy at my local richer sounds said i should be spending the same again on speakers. I put it down as sales patter 😳😆

Fr4nco

Standard Member

tia
So I've made a shortish list....
Wharfedale diamond 12.2
Q acoustics 3030i
Mission LX-2 MKII
Mission LX-3 MKII
Elac debut b6.2
Mission QX-2

Should these be OK for the marantz m-cr412 to drive them?

Orobas

So I've made a shortish list....
Wharfedale diamond 12.2
Q acoustics 3030i
Mission LX-2 MKII
Mission LX-3 MKII
Elac debut b6.2
Mission QX-2

Should these be OK for the marantz m-cr412 to drive them?
Diamonds .. yes.. perfect upgrade to your 9's and recommended
LX-2 yes...
QX-2 will work but you are paying for a speaker that will be held back by the amp

Elac... no.. these are far too big and much too heavy a load for the 412. They are also brutal with poor sources and equipment with their sound.. they wont sugar coat anything

The 3030i will work ok.. I personally dont like Q's but on paper they are a good match
LX-3 i haven't heard but they are a more polished update to the LX-2 .. its down to price :)

Ascotbilly

Another very good sounding and looking 6 ohm speaker is the Dali Spectre II, same price as the Missions.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

NAD launches M23 hybrid stereo power amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Microsoft to acquire Activision Blizzard for $70 billion
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cyrus Audio joins BluOS Audio Ecosystem
  • By Andy Bassett