Upgrade sound from line out to ...?

kieranmcc

Standard Member
Hi, I'm using an old Gateway GN5046b as a media centre with Windows 7. I'm very pleased with the results, but I would like to improve the sound.

I have a Yamaha YSP-600 sound projector and from the Gateway to this, I am using the line out to two phono plugs. There is no optical out available.

I was wondering if I replace the video card with somethig like a Sapphire HD6540, then I could use HDMI for the sound? This would have to include the music from the CD collection.

robbo100

Yes, you would get HD Audio over HDMI with that card (i.e the top level of sound quality), so that will do all you need. It will work for all your sound from the PC.

Your YSP-600 doesn't work with HD audio but the HD6540 will output lower sound standards that are compatible so it will be fine.

To be honest, if you are not playing games, the HD6540 is probably overkill.

kieranmcc

Standard Member
Thanks for that reply. I don't play games, but I want a passively cooled card with HDMI. So, apart from the 5450, what else is there?

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
If all you want is Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1, then just get a basic PCI soundcard with an optical output, install AC3 filter and set it up to use the SPDIF for passthrough of DD and DTS and bobs your multichannel uncle :smashin:

kieranmcc

Standard Member
Thanks for that suggestion, but I have both pci slots occupied; one with the current graphics card and the other with a wireless one.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom