1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

upgrade Sony 930 - 1080. is it worth it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by rdk, Mar 6, 2003.

Tags:
  1. rdk

rdk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I'm looking at upgrading my old faithful sony 930 as it seems time and technology has passed it by. The 1080 seemed like a good bet as it's built on the same principles, but is the gap really worth it? or should i be looking at more of an upgrade eg 1011/2011. My current amp is connected to a set of eggs which, in spite of what people say, i like (I prefered them to VM1s in a 2hr demo).

Anybody out there upgraded a 930 for a 1080 (or 1011/2011 for that matter), and if so would you do it again?

note, wife's instructions - it must be silver/aluminium ( shame - quite fancied a 3802 :( )

Cheers

Richard

2. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    I'm taking delivery of a 1080 on Friday which will replace my 930. I'm under no illusions that it will be that much better sound quality wise. I'm sure the D.D 51 EX/centre rear etc won't blow me away either. What I am really looking forward too is DPLII because I hear this is a dramatic improvement over Pro Logic when watching tapes or off air tv shows.

I'll let you know what I think in a few days if you want.

3. rdk

rdk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, it would be good to know.

My main reasons for wanting to upgrade in the first place were DPL II and 6.1 it was only when i started researching properly i started to have doubts.

All my other gear is sony, so it seemed the logical choice.

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I did the 930 to 1080 upgrade, and do not think you'll be disappointed. The sound is as you'd expect...similar. 6.1 is nice but PLII makes general domestic viewing a whole lot better.

I no longer have the 1080 but sold it because i upgraded to speakers which showed some of its, and the 930s, limitations.

5. Spooky

Spooky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I know many people that have done similar upgrades and are very happy with it........... it is after all a well spec'd amp for its price etc
    I was gonna upgrade from my ole 830 to a 1080 but decided against it , the sound was too shrill for me at times(personal opinion remember) and stereo was poor. I was also trying to " future proof" whatever that is ;) with 7.1 and every sound algorithm I could think of.
    Best bet is to listen to one for yourself, everyone has an opinion and yours is the most impotant......you need to listen to it for some time maybe.
    Laters
    Spooks:)

6. mohtfan

mohtfan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    If its not broken, why side step? there is only so much to be gained with 6.1 or 7.1. Replace it with something up the ladder, you'll be glad you did. I changed my 930 into something completely different and now know how (relatively) bad the 930 was.