Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Upgrade (Richer Sounds)!!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Punce, Oct 20, 2003.

1. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I have a slight dilemna, in that I bought a Sony DB940 from Richer Sounds 3 years ago, and I took out the 3 year cover plan (basically a 3 yr warranty, or if not used in that time, they will give me £150 credit to buy it back)

It ends this weekend, so I need to make my mind up. I also fancy upgrading my receiver, and thinking about the Denon 3803 ( I doubt Richer do these?!?)

Also, my 940 has the infamous speaker buzz problem, which I have lived with by switching the Display Dimmer to 100%, so I could sell it privately, but don't feel too easy in selling a product with a slight fault on it.

Here are my options:

1) Take 940 back and get £150 against something else (dunno what?)

2) Take 940 to repair buzz, then sell it privately when it's fixed

3) Sell it with fault, and get £20 back from Richer Sounds for not using the warranty at all

I can't decide - aaargh! Does anyone have any ideas? even a 4th option?

TIA

2. home_bas

home_bas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't mean to worry you as the deal may have changed in the last few years, but when I got my RS supercare it guaranteed 50% buyback in only the first year... it reduced over the next 2 years.

As I say, it may only be a recent change but its wortch checking first! :)

3. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Also see what similar amps make on ebay and then decide.

4. MonkeyDonkey

MonkeyDonkey
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    My 3yr agreement from Oct 2002 states 50% if the item is complete with all accessories and packaging and in very good condition.
    40% in vgc without packaging or all accessories and 30% in average condition. After that its subject to negotiation with the manager.

So its probably best to go in and see what they will give you first, before making up your mind.

5. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ...but then, what do I go for if they accept 50%? I've had a look at their website, and it doesn't impress me much. Do they have more than that in their shops?

6. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, they do have more in store.

I would pop down there, see what they will give you, have a browse through their catalogue and then have lunch there while you read a Hi-i mag or two.

Good luck!

7. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    cheers dude - helps a lot.

Wouldn't it be funny if I ask them first about 50% credit, and if I don't like the deal, then ask them to fix a fault?? oo-er!

Do they do pricematch? Really considering a Denon 3803. I love the video conversion idea... does it improve the quality from composite?

8. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I upgraded my amp last year I was told by RS mail order that this is not a trade in offer but a buy back offer - they were trying to sell me an amp rather than buying from the shop - SO I suggest you ask if that's the case if it is then you're free to buy whatever you want :)

9. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Here's what it says in the 'buyback agreement' certificate:

Conditions
    1. The goods must be in perfect working order.
    2. The buyback allowance is against the puchse of other goods, however you are free to choose new items of any kind.
    3. The buyback service is available for up to 3 years from the date of purchase.

So I could buy anything else - but what? And obviously I'd be without an amp.

10. dude1971

dude1971

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read the fine print on my Richer Care and I agree that you are free to choose anything you want. The only downside is that you will have to go with their prices the catalogue, and not the specials in What-Hifi etc.

Hoping to buy a Denon 1804 this weekend, but not from Richer!

11. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    A couple of years back, I used the Richers 'buyback' offer for my old Yamaha RX-V595, and bought a RX-V1000, which they price-matched with Empire Direct.

Hmmm...might have to try this again when the RX-V1400 comes out!

M

12. Punce

Punce

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    hey that's worth knowing marky_h, thanks. I hope they have a Denon 3803, it would be great if they price-match that. Has anyone seen it cheaper than Digital Direct (£669)

cheers

13. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    marky_h - nice receiver you have :) (also welcome to the forums )

Have you tried the av switching facilities on it at all? I've got the same amp (also from richers) and hope to use the component in/out with our soon to have plasma

cheers
    Gary

14. marky_h

marky_h

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Gary - ta for the welcome. Your timing is astute! - I've just unpacked and set up the receiver in the last two days, it having been in storage for 18 months during house move and renovation. I now have a Pioneer 925 LD player, Sky+ and a JVC SVHS video all running into it via S-video, and once I sorted out the optical and coaxial digital audio assignments, the AV switching seems to work seamlessly. I have only one component source (prog scan DVD), so will run this straight to the projector (when that's set up:)). I am considering the 1400 or 2400 for the component upconversion facilities, although if the spec is the same as the Canadian version, neither seems to have the AC-3 RF input that I had read about elsewhere:(, so it looks like I'll have to hold on to the demodulator for the time being....

M