1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade recommendations? from Yamaha RXV420

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by paul333, Feb 20, 2005.

Tags:
  1. paul333

paul333
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Recently upgraded my DVD player to a Pioneer 575 and dumped a Yamaha nsp 320 sub sat combo for Mission M7DS rears and M7C1 centre, to match the Mission 701s that I already owned.

All I need to do now is upgrade my AV receiver, a Yamaha RXV 420 - what should I get to match the Missions? what is that maximum amount worth spending?

A the YAMAHA RXV1500RDS looks a bargain from Germany but even for £430? would it be wasted when connected to the missions?

2. paul333

paul333
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas?

3. Mango Bob

Mango Bob
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really qualified to answer but as everyone else is ignoring you I'll have a go! You could always take your amp+701s to a shop and compare it against a 1500 - if it's a big difference buy it from Germany!

I think it'll be an improvement but have never done this kind of test.

If it overpowers the missions you can always upgrade to some nice Canton CD100s from germany at the same time :devil:

I have a Yam 750 (from UK) and it's a great amp - you could get that and save cash for bigger fronts...if you want to muy UK I can recommend Mordaunt Short 906s.

When you audition the Yam, have a listen to the Denon and Marantz competition too.

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    The yamaha will be fine, and has a number of equaliser modes so you'll be able to change the sound to your liking. Alough if you want to really customise the sound the 2500 lets you change pretty much anything, I haven't touched it though because it looks like a degree in acustic engineering would be needed.

I think the 1500 is just the 2500 without the gui and a few options, on the power side it has 10watts/channel less but i'd doubt anyone would notice. I really like the sound of the 2500 and I have mision and b&w speakers.

You should always demo if you can, but if you can't feel confident that the yamaha is a good receiver and I should think it will be a decent step up from your current (i went from a ax620 and i could notice the differecen strait away) Features like the auto setup (followed by a bit of fine tuning), the video up convertion (great if you have a projector and a tv, just plug everything in component and s-video/composite and have a component cable to projector and s-video->scart to the tv) and not forgetting the sound quality.

Others like the 2805 and pio ax3/1014 are comparable but if you like the yamaha sound, and the fact that the others can't be found for such a good priece home or abroad i would go for the yamaha.

Audition first and pick the best depending on the quailty if you can though, as the saying goes "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgoten".

5. paul333

paul333
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys for the help.