1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by greenthumb, Jan 12, 2004.

1. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, Im looking to upgrade my Yamaha dsp E800 & Marantz Pm66seKI sig. amp. Im after something with prologic2 and 6.1. I also listen to a lot of music so half decent stereo peformance is a must. Ive shortlisted Yammy 2400, Pioneer ax5i Harmon Kardon and Sony. Which of these amps provide the best all round peformance? Would any of the above produce a marked improvement over my marantz amp in stereo? Im leaning towards the pioneer at the mo but im worried that the stereo peformance might be a bit tame. Any suggestions?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. pwiles1968

pwiles1968

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Don't Forget the Marantz amplifiers the SR5400 OSE is available now and the SR7400 should be available soon. Both will be worth listening to especially if you like the Marantz sound.

3. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if any of them will beat the Marantz you currently have in outright stereo reproduction.

Why not keep the Marantz and use it to drive your Fronts?

If you have to get rid then NAD seems to come highly recommended for Stereo - look at the 752 and 762/763.

Also you might consider the Arcam AVR300 which is out this year (Check the Arcam folder for details) - this might be slightly more expensive than your budget

And maybe even the Marantz SR7400 which is cheaper than the amps you have shortlisted but I think is very good value for money and well regardrd for 2 channel.

Personally I'd keep your Marantz and go for the Pioneer or Yamaha, although try and get a demo.

4. greenthumb

greenthumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm just seen the Marantz sr8300 for a grand. Has anyone heard one of these I cant seem to find any reviews of one. Looks quite tasty. Ho hum another one to the list:rolleyes:

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,331
    Great sound on the SR8300 but the rear socketry is odd (umpteen digital outputs but no component video switching) it is also 6.1 only so there is no possibility of upgrading later even if you want to. The upcoming 7400 will be better specced although not THX select.

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    The best stereo replay i've heard from an integrated (so far) is the Harmon AVR8500.

How that will stand up against dual combo's, like the Pioneers DVD player - Amp via i links i'm not sure.

As a standalone 2 channel integrated, its pretty slick

Adz

7. Dazed

Dazed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great deal for the Marantz 8300.

If you want a one box solution and sound is your driving factor then this must be very tempting.

Comes with an excellent remote control - the Marantz equivalent of the Philips Pronto RU940 (?)