1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Query (A85 to 7.1)

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by avarice, Jun 29, 2004.

1. avarice

avarice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I want to upgrade my system to be able to watch surround sound DVD movies; however I want a minimum number of boxes.

The important parts of my system include:

Arcam A85
    Sony DVD DVPNS999ES

Will this work? – Upgrade the Amp to 7.1, the Sony has DTS decoding – so we have decoding and amplification. However, it seems vague whether you need a DVD player capable of DVD-Audio and DTS (the DVD doesn’t have DVD-A and I’m not really bothered about it as I use a CD33 for audio).

So can you upgrade the amp to 7.1 to solely run surround sound movies if your DVD player doesn’t have DVD-A?

I’m assuming it will do, but the dealer didn’t know.

2. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Avarice -

What you propose will work, using the decoder I assume is inside your Sony DVD player, though you should check that the DVD player has some form of bass management and speaker delay settings if you will be using anything other than full range speakers arranged in a circle around your listening position. You'll need a 3 channel power amp like an A90/3 to support the centre and rear speakers. We'll also need the A85 back at the factory for a few days to install the 7.1 channel module and upgrade the amp's SW to support it.

Note that the decoders in DVD players usually don't go beyond 5.1 and so there is no easy way to go 6/7.1; having said that this is rarely a big deal IMO. The extra 2 channels of input on the module will therefore be unused at this point, though who knows when they might come in useful in the future?

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

3. avarice

avarice

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, I assumed that it would work but wanted to check, I have the P90/2 and was going to get that upgraded too.

Thanks for the quick reply!!