Upgrade Quandry

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by UlricVonLichtenstien, Nov 16, 2001.

1. UlricVonLichtenstien

UlricVonLichtenstien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys,

I'd like some advice. I haven't owned a console in my life (unless you count the old 'tv sports' machine my Dad bought when I was a kid - you know the sort - glorious blacknwhite'o'vision with dial controllers :D ). I've always used the PC for the gaming fix.

What I want to know is, is it worth upgrading my now sluggish PC, or should I be getting a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox etc?

What's so great about consoles?

2. balders

balders

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I'd say that it depends on the kind of games that you enjoy playing. I've got a PC, PS2, N64, and find that each has strengths in different areas, and each are strong for particular kinds of games:

PS2 - driving, fighing, adventure, sports games
    PC - RPG, Strategy, Flight/ Space sims, First Person Shooters
    N64 - pick-up-quick multiplayer sessions

From some of the demos I've seen, the XBox could be the console that starts to bridge this gap (let's face it, it's a PC that looks like a console), which I think is a good thing.

So, I'm afraid the only advice I can offer is to think about what kind of games you want to play, and make your choice based on that.

Nigel.

3. Big Jim

Big Jim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get hold of a few copies of EDGE to get an idea of what is around, personally I'm holding out for a US gamecube with Super Monkey Ball (best name ever, no?)

but which ever of the next-gen consoles you go for, you will probably see mostly the same games, with an odd few exclusive titles - mainly due to the increasing cost of development.

My choice is based on Nintendo having the best exclusive games IMHO <ducks>;) , the best controller, and being the cheapest to buy (on US import - I'm not interested in shoddy, 6 month late PAL conversions).

As for console vs pc - not really comparing like with like, pc is a moving target - with all the maintenance\expence\hassle - and extra abilities (HCPC anyone?) - that comes with that, where as a console has a nice fixed target with a captiveish market for well honed games, but less extra abilities.

Having said that I do expect to be wasting a lot of time playing Civ III soon...

Balders - 'N64 - pick-up-quick multiplayer sessions'
    :EEK: - I reccommend you find copies of Mario 64, both Zelda games, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and 1080 - lock yourself in a room for 3 weeks and experience gaming heaven!

have fun whatever you go for

cheers,

4. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Here's the one fact that makes the Xbox a must buy (if your a pc owner)

Geoforce 3 based graphics card for pc's-£250-£300.

Xbox with hard drive, dvd drive, sound card, processor etc etc AND geoforce 3 based card - £280 - £300.
    Nuff said.

5. UlricVonLichtenstien

UlricVonLichtenstien

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys.

Being my boring old self, I've just upgraded the PC. I'll just have to lug it downstairs if I want to play Return to Castle Wolfenstien in 42 glorious inches of plasma... :D