1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade Projector or DVD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Maximum Bob, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Maximum Bob

Maximum Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Newbie first question - so go easy!

I am intending to upgrae my existing home cinema set up with a projector (I have a TV at the mo) and a new DVD player.

Given it will be for only occasional usage I had allocated a budget of £1300-£1500 (for both). Following advice and going for budget DVI-D supporting devices, like the £230 Denon 1910 and the £1000 Screenplay 4805 projector.

However, I now have a bit more to spend - so my question is: with a bit more cash (it is "always a bit more" !) would you upgrade the DVD player, something like the Arcam DV78 at £700, or the projector, like the ScreenPlay 5700 at £2000. Which would be the priority?

2. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Welcome Matey

I personally would go for a better PJ, The DVD player IMHO could await but I personally would get a better PJ to start with. Apart from some of the issues I have read up on in the DVD section I hear good things about the 2910, but would recommend a view of the equivalent Pioneer (668) Both have HDMI.

As for PJ, it appears your very focused on the InFocus - have you seen these in action? The Optoma appear to be great DLP's and perhaps the Sony HS50 may be of interest.

Hope this points you in the right sort of direction.

Cheers

Tone

3. Maximum Bob

Maximum Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. Not so hung up on the ScreenPlays, I just had some prices to hand!
    Not hung up on anything.

So in summary, get any DVI-D supporting player and spend as much as you can on your projector. I will have a look at the other pPJs you list. thanks again.

4. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Hey Bob

I (as yet) dont have a HDMI player but will certainly be looking at a Pioneer 668 (Denons seem to be problematic - see the DVD forums) when I finally get the LCD Sony VPLHS50. I have heard that this player and HDMI is the ultimate in PQ. Therefore I suggest you investigate this.

But please ask around in the DVD Forums as there are some very knowledgable chaps who already own everything and they are much more qualified to say.

Do you have a preference to DLP as opposed to LCD? What have you looked at thus far?

Cheers

Tone

5. Maximum Bob

Maximum Bob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No just viewed, by accident rather than design, DLP PJs - and was very impressed.

What LCD projectors would people recommend I view/audition against the likes of a £2K DLP projector?

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I don't think I'd recommend any LCD over a DLP to be honest, if you're not affected by rainbows then the better CR (deeper blacks) and lack of artifacts like VB of DLPs to my mind would make them the choice.

The usual suspects in the LCD world would be the AE700, Z3 and HS50 I guess.