Answered Upgrade projector 4K or not?

chaz

Need some advice here please at the moment I own a Runco DLP Projector playing on a 7ft screen after Xmas I want to upgrade it. Now the projector does not play 1080p only 720p and no 3dD So as I have a few 3d of course I would like a projector that can play 3D. My question is do I need one that plays 4K & HDR. Or one that does 1080p The distance I sit from the screen is about 17ft/18 ft so would I notice much difference in quality from normal blu ray and paying the the extra on 4K capable projector & player from the distance from where I sit. I would like to go down the JVC route if possible. My limit is £3,500 inc what I can get for the Runco

scoc

No need for 4k support in my view and go for the JVC X5500.

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
The tables I've seen would say that at 17ft from a 7ft screen you'll only just start to get the benefit of 1080p. 4K is irrelevant at that distance and screen size.

Ill say keep it simple, stay HD, drop the WCG HDR mess for now, and as mentioned resolution is not a issue with your distance to the screen.

chaz

Thanks guys I see scoc that you recommend JVC X5500.is there something a bit cheaper as you and others say I do not need 4K as it will not be worth it in my case as for the distance I am from the Screen but will still like 3D and JVC projector and by the way this projector will have to last me

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Epson 9300 is also worthy of a demo.

Dont expect any new projector you buy today to last more than 5 years, if you intend to use it.
They are not build to last, but build to be replaced when there is a new model.

chaz

Dont expect any new projector you buy today to last more than 5 years, if you intend to use it.
They are not build to last, but build to be replaced when there is a new model.
I do not use the projector everyday only at the weekends and only when it gets dark early from October to March never in the summer so it would only be twice a week I think it should last me as I am now touching 68

scoc

Thanks guys I see scoc that you recommend JVC X5500.is there something a bit cheaper as you and others say I do not need 4K as it will not be worth it in my case as for the distance I am from the Screen but will still like 3D and JVC projector and by the way this projector will have to last me

You've mentioned you'd prefer a JVC and your budget is 3500 gbp so hence the JVC X5500 is almost a no-brainer. Ok, you can save a bit by going for an Epson 9300 but with all due respect the JVC X5500 is a bit better in my point of view.

Trojan

Distinguished Member
You've mentioned you'd prefer a JVC and your budget is 3500 gbp so hence the JVC X5500 is almost a no-brainer. Ok, you can save a bit by going for an Epson 9300 but with all due respect the JVC X5500 is a bit better in my point of view.
Do you think the JVC is a £1000 better than the Epson 9300?

Last edited:

scoc

It's not my money but in my view yes. Let's say you keep the projector 4-5 years so that's only 200 gbp per year more :) That's a trick I often use to convince myself :)

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Optoma are due to drop the UHD65 next month, it may not be in the same camp as the Ronco, but if it looks nice then the laser version of this model arriving sometime in Q4 this year should be worth a look.

Looking at the Epson laser phosphor technology, Optoma claim to be using this type of tech. So it seems logical that the blacks on this projector should have the same inky blacks, yet as you know with owning a DLP, they also have a certain coloured texture and pace that none of the other technologies have.

See if you like the basic feel of the UHD65 and if its enough, get that, otherwise wait and see what the UHZ65 has to offer.

Regards, Shane.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Do you think the JVC is a £1000 better than the Epson 9300?
Yes, without a doubt. The Epson is good, but if it's inky black images with a DLP-ish feel, then the JVC's have it, they've been the masters of it until Laser arrived.

Regards, Shane.

Thug

I say go for the Epson 9300, then you are future proof for more than 5 years.
If 4k takes off more than it has then you may regret not getting a 4k compatible projector, especially as HDR is only on 4k at the moment (HDR is getting better with each release and when they nail it they really nail it).
As for it looking any different on a 7' screen, then resolution wise not so much, colour (due to HDR) then certainly.

Trojan

Distinguished Member
Yes, without a doubt. The Epson is good, but if it's inky black images with a DLP-ish feel, then the JVC's have it, they've been the masters of it until Laser arrived.

Regards, Shane.
Are we talking about a batcave environment?

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Nah, I've tried JVC's in poor conditions and due to the native contrast and not the fictitious ones all the manufactures show, they have more punch.

It was something I have to say I didn't expect to see as I did the test with JVC, Epson and Panasonic expecting the JVC to loose big time, yet it won both of them

You just cannot see how black they can go, everything else shines through

Regards, Shane.

scoc

JVC X5500 is also 4k compatible so that's not an argument to not got for the JVC. But even if the JVC was not 4k compatible I'd still choose it over the Epson 9300.

ShanePJ

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
I'd be happy with either. At this level there are no bad projectors, only different one that offer other experiences. Making a choice of whether one is better than the other in an hour is very difficult and for that point, if you don't see either in your room, the choice you make will be a good one.

If I had to nit-pick about the JVC they're very heavy and the lamps tend to cost a little more too. With the Epson, for the price, theirs not a lot to complain about

People who tend to buy JVC's have usually owned JVC in the past or have experienced DLP and enjoyed it.

Regards, Shane.

Thug

Good point about the lamps, the Epson one is just over £100 (I think £125 ish).
Also look at warranty too as the Epson has a good few years.

chaz

I think I will stick with JVC the 4K would be unused as others have said I would not notice any difference in Picture quality from the distance i will be siting 16/17ft away from a 7ft screen. So I will not be buying any 4K discs I will just keep to my 1080p blu rays as paying extra for the 4k discs would not be worth it in my case and I will also have to buy a 4k player and that would mean more money as well what do others think? PS Any Ideas How much I should ask for my RUNCO DLP 550 Projector to put in the classified ?

jfinnie

Distinguished Member
For me the reasons to get a 4k player are to access Atmos soundtracks (which are now often not making it onto the Blu-ray release) and the wide colour gamut. The downside is the unsettled moveable feast that is HDR and the upgraded cabling requirements if you have a long cable to the PJ (over 8m is a bit of a gamble). The JVC units are less compromised than the Epson's for 4k signal input as they have the "full fat" 18gbps inputs.

I love both the JVC units I have had, but I've bought them 2nd hand for comparatively peanuts. My x30 currently sees at least 3hrs use a night on my ReAct screen.

Not sure what screen you have, but if the room isn't a batcave you will probably get more of an image quality increase from getting an ambient light screen than a new PJ. The improvement for me from the ReAct surface is phenomenal.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

iFi Audio launches NEO Stream music streamer with DAC
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M6x 250.7 multi-channel power amplifier
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Is Google set to rival Dolby Vision and Atmos?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
'Tizen TV by Samsung' brands coming to UK?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Denon announces five new 8K AV receivers
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom