Upgrade Pro-Ject Debt III S Cartridge or buy Pro-ject Carbon EVO?

hjenkins

Standard Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of upgrading by Pro-Ject Debut III S with a Ortofon Red or Blue OR I just by the new Carbon EVO? A lad at the local Hi-Fi shop told me that I'd hit a ceiling fast with the Debut III S and I should buy the Carbon EVO which is easier to upgrade in the future. Although I really don't see why I just can't buy a new cartridge.

Overtime, Im also looking to upgrade, speakers, cables and even buy a decent phone stage after a demo of the Cambridge Phono stage I was blown away. But right now, I want to address the source and upgrade what I have in search for more detail, clarity and a warmer deeper sound.

So upgrade cartridge or new turntable.

Current set up:
ARCAM SA20
Monitor Audio Bronze 6

The carbon evo is a big jump in spec from the debut III and comes with the 2M red cart, so if you are, as you have stated, going to be up grading speakers, cables and adding a phono stage, then the evo will be money well spent in my view. Cart upgrades to the evo will yield more sonic improvements than adding to the debut III. I have the SA20 also, and it has a fine phono stage, but adding a more premium TT with a decent phono stage and this amp really brings your records alive.

Thank you for your response. Forgive my noob question, what do you mean by Premium TT?

Thank you for your response. Forgive my noob question, what do you mean by Premium TT?
A more premium turn table, better components and materials used in the construction, as opposed to a lower end budget unit that is produced to a price as a starter or entry level unit with limited adjustment and upgrade possibilities.

As a side note, I used to run a Debut III with an ortofon 2M red upgrade through my SA20. I then upgraded the turntable to a project X1, added a Goldring 1042 cart and a Lehmann blackcube II and have never regretted the move, the sound through the SA20 blows me away every time I play an album. This level would never have been achievable by just upgrading the Debut III. Hope this is of help.

Last edited:
Forget the OM Red. Its a starter cartridge, and best trade /upgraded for another. The Audio Technica VM range offer superb sound reproduction quality at very reasonable prices. Or you could sample the delights of the Goldring 1000 series. Both brands offer very good value for money. Also, both models in the AT and Goldring Ranges mentioned, feature bodies that allow upgraded styli, so only a need for stylus change required.

Forget the OM Red. Its a starter cartridge, and best trade /upgraded for another. The Audio Technica VM range offer superb sound reproduction quality at very reasonable prices. Or you could sample the delights of the Goldring 1000 series. Both brands offer very good value for money. Also, both models in the AT and Goldring Ranges mentioned, feature bodies that allow upgraded styli, so only a need for stylus change required.
Hi. I agree with this. The 2M Red's easily bettered and the first thing that I would do is change the cart on your existing deck. Nagaoka, AT and Goldring all do superb carts in the £100-£200 range that, imho, will offer a significant sound upgrade over the 2M Red and are better value than the 2M Blue (Too analytical for me).

Hi. I agree with this. The 2M Red's easily bettered and the first thing that I would do is change the cart on your existing deck. Nagaoka, AT and Goldring all do superb carts in the £100-£200 range that, imho, will offer a significant sound upgrade over the 2M Red and are better value than the 2M Blue (Too analytical for me).
Interesting to see opinions that existing my deck is worth upgrading. Ive been tempted to invest in the Pro-ject X1 but if I can achieve the equivalent benefit from simply upgrading my cart I can use the additional budget on upgrading my speakers instead.

Interesting to see opinions that existing my deck is worth upgrading. Ive been tempted to invest in the Pro-ject X1 but if I can achieve the equivalent benefit from simply upgrading my cart I can use the additional budget on upgrading my speakers instead.
This is what I did. I did eventually move to an X1, but that was the icing on the cake. Speakers and room being right are the key to great sound.

Great clearance deals on Carbon Evo's at SSAV £349 at the moment.

Also looked at one of these in local SSAv last week, a very nice looking piece of kit for your consideration.

Great clearance deals on Carbon Evo's at SSAV £349 at the moment.

Also looked at one of these in local SSAv last week, a very nice looking piece of kit for your consideration.

Nice. Thank you for bringing that to my attention - feels worthwhile given the potential re-sale on my existing Debut III S

@hjenkins 👍🏻 interested in your comments. I’m due a TT upgrade and don’t think I’ll go for the Rega Planar 3, but drop to the RP2. However the Debut Pro and EVO have caught my attention

EVO was definitely worth the investment, especially as I had a big £150 discount for an extra demo product from Seven Oaks. Noticiable upgrade from a sound perspective and a good foundation to upgrade components like the sub platter, and absorb it feet.

Onto new speakers next!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom