1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upgrade: Player or Scaler?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by SimonInd, Nov 24, 2003.

1. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi,

I've been watching DVDs and Freeview through a AE100 for coming up to a year now and I'm starting to think about inproving the video quality. Currently I have a (four year old ) Sony DVP-725 and a Philips DTR1500 Freeview box both feeding a PRO-V de-interlacer/scaler which feeds an XGA signal to the AE100. I'm considering upgrading the DVD player ( possibly to one that also handles DVD-A and SACD ) to a more recent model, Denon 2900 or one of these new Pioneers, however would my money be better spent on a new de-interlacer/scaler? If my player was progressive then I'd probably feed the projector directly with the component signal and just use the PRO-V for TV.

Any advice would be appreciated...

Cheers

Simon

2. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
    Not sure spending £700 on a 2900 when you have a £800 projector would be money well spent. Depends what you are planning in future. You could upgrade the dvd player to a 2900 and then in the near future upgrade the pj a Sim DLP (but make sure you can't see rainbow)

I decided to go for a cheaper Pio 565 which is great. Especially the dvd-a and sacd. As it only cost £200 I'll be able to justify an upgrade next year if need be, which was a concern for me as things seem to be moving pretty quickly at the moment. I wouldn't be able to justify an upgrade so soon if I had spent £700 on a 2900.

I have an Iscan Ultra. While I really like the picture from it I'm not sure you would be gob smacked by the increase in PQ. You may be able to convince a shop to lend you one.

3. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    buy a scaler (deinterlacer) and outpot RGB, force the AE100 into 480Wide using RGB and the job is a good un, Lumagen secondhand if you can (one in classified) would be ideal, else try an Iscan and make sure you can get 480wide on the projector.

PS The player if working is still pretty decent in todays terms

4. bobbypunk

bobbypunk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry to seem dim but,...
    How does a scaler improve the picture quality,
    The Dvpns725 has component output, I would have thought a decent direct link to the projector would be the best, as it is a very good DVD.

PS The reason I ask is I have no idea what a scaler does?!?!

5. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    A scaler basically adjusts the output resolution to drive the panel / projector at it’s optimum. For a panel based resolution device, this might be the resolution of the panel (as this usually is higher than DVD resolution). A search of the site will give a fuller explanation of scaler / de interlacers. Good stuff on Tag site as well

What I suggested here was a ‘fudge’ to by pass the cheap electronics in the projector and drive the very able panels in this projector at their ‘best’, avoiding all the nasty internal compromised electronics. There are loads of post on this here and at AVS. In fact if you can bypass the electronics on cheap projectors by addressing the panel with a RGB signal, there are often advantages.

6. GaryG

GaryG
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The Pro-V is capable of outputting 480p, you might want to try that before going for another scaler. Not sure it will bypass the internal scaler though.

How about going for a HTPC for DVD playback (assuming you can bypass the internal scaler), and keeping your pro-v for the DTR1500?