Upgrade phono stage or integrated amp?

Oh wash your mouth out with soap and go to bed without supper.:lesson:

Function over form may best describe the looks of the Regas but let's face it you listen to an amp you don't sit there and look at it. My Elicit does look a little out of sync with a Denon receiver and Denon SACD player and the Rega remote is to die for.:rolleyes:

Calm down, you are right the Rega amps are very good and the listening experience is what it is all about. I do think they are aesthetically challenged but they are great British amps with a very British sound signature. They don’t sound or look Japanese. I just wish they had the looks to go with their personality. I guess that is the age old problem you can’t have the looks and the personality you have to compromise.

@acgingersnaps : I like your set up
1.) Is your TT Mounted directly on top of the amp.
2.) Is it an RP2 or 3 ?

@acgingersnaps : I like your set up
1.) Is your TT Mounted directly on top of the amp.
2.) Is it an RP2 or 3 ?
Thanks!
It is directly on top of the amp. Not ideal, I realise, but there are no vents on top of the amp and, in my experience, it doesn't run particularly warm. As you can see there's also quitea bit of air between the two, motor amd output aside.
The deck's a project debut carbon. It's the next upgrade but I've just replaced the cartridge. So I'm going to use the needle's lifespan to save for an upgrade.

Attachments

• 20200728_220012.jpg
    20200728_220012.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 63
Thanks!
It is directly on top of the amp. Not ideal, I realise, but there are no vents on top of the amp and, in my experience, it doesn't run particularly warm. As you can see there's also quitea bit of air between the two, motor amd output aside.
The deck's a project debut carbon. It's the next upgrade but I've just replaced the cartridge. So I'm going to use the needle's lifespan to save for an upgrade.

I feel like I've been a bit harsh on my Project Debut Carbon on this thread, given that all I've talked about is upgrading from it. I love it though - it reintroduced me to my old records and started my new-found passion for playing vinyl again. I went through a few upgrades with mine - notably going from the Ortofon 2M Red to the Blue and fitting the acrylic platter. Not sure the acrylic made much change to the sound, but it's aesthetically beautiful and a pleasure to put records on.

I did have issues with noise from the motor which is why I finally threw the towel in - tried lots of fixes but couldn't ever get it to stay completely silent for any length of time. It's odd because I'm quite forgiving of surface noise on records - I don't consider myself particularly fussy - but I can't abide mechanical noise from the turntable. I think I just got unlucky and got a bad unit in that respect. I'm keeping it though, even after upgrading, as I'm still rather attached to it! It's a lovely thing.

The P6 is absolutely silent in operation though - music to my ears!

Last edited:
I feel like I've been a bit harsh on my Project Debut Carbon on this thread, given that all I've talked about is upgrading from it. I love it though - it reintroduced me to my old records and started my new-found passion for playing vinyl again. I went through a few upgrades with mine - notably going from the Ortofon 2M Red to the Blue and fitting the acrylic platter. Not sure the acrylic made much change to the sound, but it's aesthetically beautiful and a pleasure to put records on.

I did have issues with noise from the motor which is why I finally threw the towel in - tried lots of fixes but couldn't ever get it to stay completely silent for any length of time. It's odd because I'm quite forgiving of surface noise on records - I don't consider myself particularly fussy - but I can't abide mechanical noise from the turntable. I think I just got unlucky and got a bad unit in that respect. I'm keeping it though, even after upgrading, as I'm still rather attached to it! It's a lovely thing.

The P6 is absolutely silent in operation though - music to my ears!
I'm considerably happier having moved away from the ortofon 2M series. My current cart is much cheaper than the 2M blue I was running, carries less surface noise and to mind sounds better. Good enough that, as i said above, i'm in no hurry to upgrade (that said, something like a P6 would be lovely in a few years. Might be overkill for my system mind).

I'm considerably happier having moved away from the ortofon 2M series. My current cart is much cheaper than the 2M blue I was running, carries less surface noise and to mind sounds better. Good enough that, as i said above, i'm in no hurry to upgrade (that said, something like a P6 would be lovely in a few years. Might be overkill for my system mind).

You fell out of love with the 2Ms? Please don't tell me that - I've already got a planned upgrade path and the cartridge wasn't part of that. That's the one thing I'm really happy with! Now I'm going to be looking for faults in that too... this hi-fi stuff is a punishing hobby. ;-)

Your setup looks great but I'm happy with my 2M for now. I don't want to rush my upgrades too much as it's an enjoyable part of the journey researching and learning. I haven't even mentioned that I'm using Tannoy R2 speakers that are around 20+ years old now! I don't even know where to begin upgrading them as I'm so used to how they sound. Even if I upgrade to something "better", I might not like them as much because they're different to what I'm used to. But that's up next... got to get the amp sorted first!

You fell out of love with the 2Ms? Please don't tell me that - I've already got a planned upgrade path and the cartridge wasn't part of that. That's the one thing I'm really happy with! Now I'm going to be looking for faults in that too... this hi-fi stuff is a punishing hobby. ;-)

Your setup looks great but I'm happy with my 2M for now. I don't want to rush my upgrades too much as it's an enjoyable part of the journey researching and learning. I haven't even mentioned that I'm using Tannoy R2 speakers that are around 20+ years old now! I don't even know where to begin upgrading them as I'm so used to how they sound. Even if I upgrade to something "better", I might not like them as much because they're different to what I'm used to. But that's up next... got to get the amp sorted first!
I wouldn't let my view of the 2M's influence you. Wasn't criticising them. I was just looking for a different sound.

I wouldn't let my view of the 2M's influence you. Wasn't criticising them. I was just looking for a different sound.

Understood - I was only taking a jab at myself really - there's always something to tweak in this game! And we're all looking for what works for us - it's going to differ as we all have different tastes, of course. I've never felt happier than with the 2M Bronze - it does exactly what I want it to do.

Just to throw a slight spanner in the works - I have a Rega Elex-R for sale as I have recently upgraded to the Aethos (bought on here!).

Loved the Elex-R, and has a good inbuilt phono stage, however I was using the Rega Fono amp with it and noticed a nice upgrade in sound. I can also sell a Fono with the amp if interested.

If you can demo the Elex and Elicit together and decide you like the sound of the Elex, let me know! The two amps do have a different sound, regardless of power. Will be interested to hear what you think.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom