upgrade path

MCMK

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am looking for some advice please, I have a Denon AVR X2200w with Q Acoustics 3020i Front and Rears with a 3090ci Centre. I also have a single BK XXLS400-DF subwoofer and a Panasonic TX-50cx802b TV. I am happy with my TV picture however I feel that I would like a bit more out of the audio. I am not sure what to upgrade first speakers or amp. My usage would be about 75% films and 25% music and the room size is approx 18ft X 12ft. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

How's it lacking? If it were me, on the surface of things I'd go speakers, but it depends what's wrong really?? Is what you have setup the best it can be? Do you have ECO turned off? Have you ran the calibration? Is your room a challenge?

Hi, thanks for the reply. Good point about the ECO setting and the calibration I have checked both. To be a little less vague I think the system sounds a bit fragile at higher volume and I was not sure if this is due to the speakers being overworked or the amp not having enough juice. I did consider investigating floor standers but I am not sure if that would be overkill for the room size.

So if you've ran the Audessey calibration with the mic and it's still not to your taste then I'd personally look at the speakers. The amp is no slouch and I don't think the speakers are a particulalr challenge for it. You have a great sub!!

I would say that your speakers and receiver as well matched. The fragile feeling could be down to placement and reflections of the higher frequencies. How are the speakers placed? Stands would be best but if they are on a shelf or cabinet then positioning is much more critical.

You certainly have a good sub.

Thank you for your reply, The front L and R speakers are on stands, the front centre sits on top of a wooden cabinet the back L and R are fixed to brackets on a rear wall. I will try to use different placements around the room in case I am getting some issues caused by position and reflection from walls etc then will re run calibration.

With the centre have the front of it sitting proud of the edge of the shelf. I have my centre sitting proud by around an inch. Easy to experiment with fronts on stands, just try running something in stereo and move them about. Can often be as simple as moving a couple of inches one way or other.

Keep us informed.:smashin:

Thanks again, I have done as you suggested and found that by changing the angle of the front L and R speakers to more of a toe in and bringing the centre as far forward, after re running Audessey it has made a huge difference. I also made some phase adjustments to my sub and I am quite a happy chappy. Thanks for your advice! I am very grateful!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom