upgrade path..z3 or ae 700

abs

i know similar posts have been posted previously but i could really do with hearing from owners of both who have had chance to demo both before deciding. i will be upgrading from a pt ae100 so i can expect a significant improvement.

can you also let me know the best place to buy, price etc for both and whether pixel checks are included.

lastly, has anyone discovered their pj arrive after having a dead pixel check only to discover dead pixlels...

any comments appreciated

andya

i got my sanyo z3 from nexnix and they did a free pixel check there and then ,i have it connected to a panasonic s97 hdmi player and the results are fantastic bags of fine detail and really good colour ,the sanyo also comes with a 3 year warranty,go for the sanyo you wont be dissapointed :smashin:

benji_m

As an AE100 owner myself I think you will appreciate a massive difference with either machine. I really don't think it's as clear cut as any one is better, but if you do a search for z3 or AE700 you will find plenty of detailed discussion.

morph42

Standard Member
Git my Z3 from Ivojo - fantastic service. They do a dead pixel check as well. Very happy with the picture quality of mine and especially happy with the fact that the Z3 comes with 3 years warranty as standard

abs

abs said:
i know similar posts have been posted previously but i could really do with hearing from owners of both who have had chance to demo both before deciding. i will be upgrading from a pt ae100 so i can expect a significant improvement.

can you also let me know the best place to buy, price etc for both and whether pixel checks are included.

lastly, has anyone discovered their pj arrive after having a dead pixel check only to discover dead pixlels...

any comments appreciated

thanks for the replies. i will be going to demo the ae700 today at sound and vision in Bolton. does anyone know of any dealers in the north west that have the z3 on demo?

abs

thanks for the link.. demo'd the ae700, very quiet but was very taken back by the level of vb i could see.. played RTOK and DRIVEN (the latter not my choice of movie) and vb was quite apparent. the pj was turned on from standby so maybe needed warming up a little. the guy at the shop literally said the Z3 was a non runner compared to the ae700 but i think this was more a sales pitch (considering they don't sell sanyo).

i then asked him about the sony hs50, he said it was marginally better than the panasonic rating the sony at 100 % and the ae700 a close second at 95%, but he said the £400 difference in price was not justified as the ae700 was better value. it was extremely quet. the vb was just slightly concerning? the pj was hooked up to the pana s97 using hdmi.

so was this an ae700 that just needed warming up enough for the vb to dissapear or is this inherent?

and does anyone have a hs50 and how does this compare to the ae700 and z3...

K

Kahless725

You will see vb on both the Panny and the Z3 but I have heard that the VB on the Z3 is less than the Ae700.

I have a Z3 and was in the same situation but I bought the Z3 due to three main reasons if that helps.

1. Less reported VB.
2. Quieter.
3. 3 year warranty (confidence in product).
4. Slightly sharper image on Z3 due to no smoothscreen technologyon Panny (the upshot of which is for the same distance from screen you can have the screen larger on the panny before seeing screendoor (pixelation) so its down to prefference)
5. I am seeing more and more Panasonic products being overrated.
6. Black is the new silver.
7. Better lense covering system (cant be knocked out of focus by little hands when not in use cos the who lense is covered)
8. The noise the auto apature or whatever its called on the Panasonic bothered me (the downside is the panasonic has slightly better contrast ratio but this is at the expense of the noise)

Ok that was 8 :) I do like my Z3 but from a AE100 you wont be dissapointed in either.

K

Kahless725

As for the Sony on paper it blows even £6K DLPs out of the water but it seems like a lot of flannel to me. I have heard a lot more negative comments that worried me about the sony than I have about the Z3 or Panny. But the black level on the Sony is King. Personally for that though I am waiting for new LCD Panels with proper increased contrast rather than pretend (the Z3 , Panny and HS50 all use a trick to reach the supposed contrast ratios) (I wish there was a standard they had to abide by when quoting these figures)

guido

If you can get hold of a copy of last months "Home Cinema Choice".. which you can from their web site... there is a group test of both AE700 and Z3, along with Infocus SP4805, Epson EMP-TW10, NEC VT-470 and Toshiba MT200. HCC say the AE700 is top with the Z3 second if you believe them! The large lens shift on the Z3 could swing it for a lot of people.

3wrLcs

Standard Member
abs,

If you didn't like the VB on the panasonic then I would suggest that you shouldn't buy one. It may be possible to tweak it away on your unit but that isn't my experience on my 700.

3wrLcs

N

Neelix

Kahless725 said:
As for the Sony on paper it blows even £6K DLPs out of the water but it seems like a lot of flannel to me. I have heard a lot more negative comments that worried me about the sony than I have about the Z3 or Panny. But the black level on the Sony is King. Personally for that though I am waiting for new LCD Panels with proper increased contrast rather than pretend (the Z3 , Panny and HS50 all use a trick to reach the supposed contrast ratios) (I wish there was a standard they had to abide by when quoting these figures)

I don't know why you perceive the HS50 to be using tricks to achieve a high contrast ratio. It's not how it's done that matters but simply the result that needs to be critqued. If it can achieve a high contrast ratio via a different technology then regardless, that is no trick! That would be akin to saying a turbo car, when compared to a normally aspirated car, doesn't really produce 300bhp because it uses forced induction... the proof is in the pudding :thumbsup:

K

Kahless725

Neelix said:
I don't know why you perceive the HS50 to be using tricks to achieve a high contrast ratio. It's not how it's done that matters but simply the result that needs to be critqued. If it can achieve a high contrast ratio via a different technology then regardless, that is no trick! That would be akin to saying a turbo car, when compared to a normally aspirated car, doesn't really produce 300bhp because it uses forced induction... the proof is in the pudding :thumbsup:

Put that way I agree with you. Still I would rather have the Ford Puma I owned than the Fiesta Turbo :)

Sly

morph42 said:
Git my Z3 from Ivojo - fantastic service. They do a dead pixel check as well. Very happy with the picture quality of mine and especially happy with the fact that the Z3 comes with 3 years warranty as standard

do you know what their 0% intrest terms are , doesnt say on their web site.

Member 14847

This gist of it is 10% deposit then interest free for 6 months. It's all done through a finance company so don't forget to pay it off before 6 months are up or the interest rates and a little startling.

abs

3wrLcs said:
abs,

If you didn't like the VB on the panasonic then I would suggest that you shouldn't buy one. It may be possible to tweak it away on your unit but that isn't my experience on my 700.

3wrLcs

just got another demo of the 700 today and i have decided it is not for me. played vertical limit and all i could see was VERTICAL BANDING....this was really off putting for me and there was no way i could live with it. i tried several dvd's incl LOTR, black hawk down, gladiator. i was expecting a huge difference from my ae100 but i thought to myself what was all the fuss about. i then got to demo the HS50 and got a side by side comparison. the sony had more vibrant colours that leapt out of the screen. VB was minimal almost non existent and generally the image was more natural. i know it is a few hundred quid more but i wouldn't regret the purchase as opposed to the ae700.

so the 700 is out and the hs 50 in... i just need to get a damn demo of the sanyo z3 before i take the plunge but i am having probs finding a dealer in the north west who can demo it for me. can anyone assist in a demo of the sanyo...

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom