• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

Upgrade path to Atmos ?

helipilot

My audio system in Cinema room has been pretty stable for a large number of years. I have not kept up to date with modern upgrades but feel now might be the time to try Atmos.

Currently I use an Audiolab 8000AP processor which is attached to the original stand alone Audyssey Professional EQ Sound Equaliser and then on to a Rotel RMB1075 power amplifier. Speakers are Kef Reference and sub is a Velodyne HGS 18.

As you might expect I am very happy with the quality of sound in my Cinema Room.

So How to add Atmos without adversely affecting the sound quality.

I see three possible routes.

1. Wait for Audiolab to produce a new processor which supports Atmos.
2. Wait for a product to be released that adds Atmos processing by splitting signal from Hdmi to decode the Atmos ceiling channels.
3. Buy a new Atmos enabled pre Amp.

I am not aware of any solutions for routes 1 and 2 so am currently looking at option 3.

I plan to audition a Marantz 7702 mk2 as currently I think that could be the best solution.

Has anyone gone from an 8000 AP to a Marantz processor?

Will the Marantz sound as good as my Audiolab or will it be a downgrade?

Opinions would be appreciated.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom