Upgrade path from denon 2300 & Q Acoustics 2000 series

Hawkpalmer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering an upgrade from my denon x2300 and I also have Q Acoustics 5.1 (2010 on stands, 2050 floorstanders, 2070S, 2000C), I also have kef 2001 eggs (I used for front heights and kef 2010 sub in place of the QA sub)

I'm now in process of building a false chimney tv wall and have some Cambridge Audio minx 21 and min 11 (came in a bundle) for front atmos on ceiling speakers.

My sofa is up against back wall (opposite tv wall) so no rear behinds. Room is pretty square around 15ft x16ft and ceilings 2.2 metres height. I'm aiming for 5.1.2 setup, maybe later a 5.2.2 (with the CA Minx ceiling mounted).

Richer sounds have the Denon 4700 and Monitor Audio Bronze 100 package and I'm wondering if this would be a good future proof path to take over what I currently have? Or should I go for something else for around £2k including receiver and speakers. I won't have space for floorstanders so shelfs are fine, also don't want in ceiling or in wall speakers.

Would I notice much difference in swapping the q acoustics speakers for MA?

We mainly use for watching TV and movies (Netflix, 4k firestick, digital tv), xbox one (xbox x when funds allow) & I'd say just occasional listening as Mrs has tinnitus.

Any pointers or helpful info would be appreciated.

Yes you would notice difference as the MAs will sound quite different to QA 2000 range. I would say more lively and forward sound. I swapped from 2000i to Bronzes long time ago which were the two earlier gens so i haven´t heard the latest ones which have further changes. The ones i got that time were also lot larger from small QAs so the change was more dramatic. I also know fellow member for long time here at AVF who changed from 2050/2000C to Bronze system (earlier Gen) and he was very pleased with full Bronze plus two Monoprice THX subwoofers setup after QAs.

If you want even more noticeable change one great option would MA Silver 50 and Silver C150 front three and then example Bronze 50 or Monitor 50 "rears" to keep the cost down, Radius 90 would do great too! Your room isn´t that large and if you choose subwoofer wisely you will be suprised of the end result.

As for receiver the X3700H would be so close to X4700H without Auro 3D, you would save about 400£ which you could put toward better speakers which people rarely regrets as they are often kept longest. With the Silvers you also get real wood veneer cabinets so they look also better. Few companies will do bundle deals = receiver + 5.0 speakers together cheaper so i would advice to call/email, example Peter Tyson does one of the best MA deals. Better than Richer Sound!

If however you feel the Bronzes are better you might want to consider the 50 model too depending how close the mains would be walls. The Bronze 100 model has 8" drivers so i would assume it sounds low end heavy if not taken more in to the room. Also that you are sitting against rear wall (not ideal) won´t help as the low frequencies tend to build up near boundaries. If you can move even 20cm couch forward.

Some other options example Kef Q range. Two pairs of Q150 with the center channel, X3700H and then subwoofer from BK/SVS depending how much you can spend. You would ask bundle deal as bought separate they are expensive.

If you could imagine liking more brighter sound then the B&W 600 range is on sale due to new S2 coming.

Dali Oberon would be also great choice and at least for my ears they are lot brighter than MAs. Just remember these package subwoofers are best left to store!

Subwoofer from BK Electronics or SVS around 400-600£ mark depending of budget left and what kind of experience you require. Don´t buy the package subwoofer cause these would be lot better for about same price! There is no matching with speakers and subs so you should pick it from dedicated manufacturer, lot more bang for buck. If you look the Silver package/bundle deal the subwoofer alone costs 1000£, but purely for movies we can get you better one (more enjoyable for blockbuster flicks/series) for half the price (500£)!

One option is to keep using your receiver for some time if the dealers won´t give that good bundle deal. You could swap it at the end of the summer assuming new models are coming, that means these 2020 models will go on sale. Sadly i can`t confirm if this is the case as crazy things have happened due to Covid. X2300W will drive any speakers in this list so no need to worry about that. Ideally you would get the 3000-4000 range Denon at some point!

This post probably didn´t make your decision any easier. I feel the purchase should be done so that the options would be looked at forums, reviews, owners talk and then you would have list which you will find most intresting. With that list you would book demo time from example Richer Sounds (cause they have most brands there) and you would listen 2-4 models. But due to virus and lockdown this is not possible. If you aren´t in hurry then wait.

Last edited:
wow, thank you Gasp3621 for that detailed and informed reply, much appreciated, will have a look at your recommendations for sure.

yes I'm not keen on a package deal sub just for sake of it.....done that with the QA 2070 sub lol.

I'm in no real rush and would def book a demo for a few listena to various setups before I commit to paying out money.

I've read on here all good things about bk and svs subs so probably will go down that route also.

Due to the mra tinnitus, I def donw want anything that's gonna rattle my eyeballs, just that nice effect and rumble when it's needed in movies ect (obviously can turn it down but don't need anything that's overkill).

Tbh I quite liked the sound from the kef eggs and the matching Sony reciever we had at the time but the Sony reciever developed a fault so had to upgrade.

I guess upgrading the front stage speakers would be a good move then do the denon and rears at a later date as suggested.

Yeah the Mrs won't allow sofa away from the wall so that's a no go. 🙄 we do have lamp tables either side so will put bookshelf speakers on them at/around ear height or we have space in corners (on back sofa wall) to put speakers on stands.

I'm not really into brand names and having the best ect but do want a setup that gives you that immersed wow experience when watching movies.....The Mrs doesn't want to hear Ian Bill all around her when she's watching Eastenders loool.

I'll not add any more to what @Gasp3621 has said in his comprehensive reply other than to say that Denon and KEF do make good partners. As for the AV amp itself you will notice an improvement over the old X2XXX amps because those above it have the better Audyssey XT32 onboard.

Both the X3700 and X4700 will do the same job. The difference in cost is reflected in the better components and power supply on the X4700 along with Denon's AL32 processor. Only you can answer as to whether the extra cost will be worth it for you.

wow, thank you Gasp3621 for that detailed and informed reply, much appreciated, will have a look at your recommendations for sure.

yes I'm not keen on a package deal sub just for sake of it.....done that with the QA 2070 sub lol.

I'm in no real rush and would def book a demo for a few listena to various setups before I commit to paying out money.

I've read on here all good things about bk and svs subs so probably will go down that route also.

Due to the mra tinnitus, I def donw want anything that's gonna rattle my eyeballs, just that nice effect and rumble when it's needed in movies ect (obviously can turn it down but don't need anything that's overkill).

Tbh I quite liked the sound from the kef eggs and the matching Sony reciever we had at the time but the Sony reciever developed a fault so had to upgrade.

I guess upgrading the front stage speakers would be a good move then do the denon and rears at a later date as suggested.

Yeah the Mrs won't allow sofa away from the wall so that's a no go. 🙄 we do have lamp tables either side so will put bookshelf speakers on them at/around ear height or we have space in corners (on back sofa wall) to put speakers on stands.

I'm not really into brand names and having the best ect but do want a setup that gives you that immersed wow experience when watching movies.....The Mrs doesn't want to hear Ian Bill all around her when she's watching Eastenders loool.

Well if you are going to be using the Minxes for the height channels that leaves you the Kef Eggs which you can use for surround sides for the time being. If you do like the Kef Q sound (after demo) then you might get lucky and just need to upgrade the LCR. When the receiver prices come down often at end of summer it could be right time to get new one then, but it all depends what kind of offer you get as there is those bundle deals which with certain brands give you big savings!

The Q models i linked were the smaller ones. There is also these larger ones for not much more ££. For the front main speakers get some sturdy speaker stands, 600mm tall is most often used height. There is cheap ones available in black/white.

Forum advertiser has some competition you can win the new SB1000 Pro. Might aswell try your luck! 😅 Either of those in the 2nd video below SB or PB1000 Pro would work in your room. It´s often recommended to get more subwoofer than one needs as people often get more hungrier with this hobby craving more, so thinking bit ahead.. The larger ported model doesn´t need to be cranked super loud either, it will dig deeper and give bit different type of impact. But i know for lounge you need to keep the Mrs. happy aswell plus you need to keep in mind that the sub need to be placed optimally, not necessary where it looks the best. So with that in mind the smaller SB1000 Pro could end up better for you. From memory it´s roughly 34x33x33cm or so. The first opening video shows you how small it really is but with 12" driver and powerfull amp with in-room response below 20hz!!

I'll not add any more to what @Gasp3621 has said in his comprehensive reply other than to say that Denon and KEF do make good partners. As for the AV amp itself you will notice an improvement over the old X2XXX amps because those above it have the better Audyssey XT32 onboard.

Both the X3700 and X4700 will do the same job. The difference in cost is reflected in the better components and power supply on the X4700 along with Denon's AL32 processor. Only you can answer as to whether the extra cost will be worth it for you.
Thank you Gibbsy, yes Gasp3621 certainly threw a spanner in the works(in a good way) and has given me some good homework and research to do.

Yeah I did enjoy the kef sound from the eggs so may go down that path but will def book a demo and have a listen to a few setups.

Well if you are going to be using the Minxes for the height channels that leaves you the Kef Eggs which you can use for surround sides for the time being. If you do like the Kef Q sound (after demo) then you might get lucky and just need to upgrade the LCR. When the receiver prices come down often at end of summer it could be right time to get new one then, but it all depends what kind of offer you get as there is those bundle deals which with certain brands give you big savings!

The Q models i linked were the smaller ones. There is also these larger ones for not much more ££. For the front main speakers get some sturdy speaker stands, 600mm tall is most often used height. There is cheap ones available in black/white.

Forum advertiser has some competition you can win the new SB1000 Pro. Might aswell try your luck! 😅 Either of those in the 2nd video below SB or PB1000 Pro would work in your room. It´s often recommended to get more subwoofer than one needs as people often get more hungrier with this hobby craving more, so thinking bit ahead.. The larger ported model doesn´t need to be cranked super loud either, it will dig deeper and give bit different type of impact. But i know for lounge you need to keep the Mrs. happy aswell plus you need to keep in mind that the sub need to be placed optimally, not necessary where it looks the best. So with that in mind the smaller SB1000 Pro could end up better for you. From memory it´s roughly 34x33x33cm or so. The first opening video shows you how small it really is but with 12" driver and powerfull amp with in-room response below 20hz!!
Thank you Gasp3621

I'll put the eggs and other bits not needed up for sale when the time comes as don't want to keep them tbh, good as they were.

Building the tv wall/false chimney I'll have shelves either side in recess for bookshelf speakers (at ear level) and the minx will be up on the ceiling above bookshelf speakers.

Thank you for the links and info, I'll do some research tonight and look at prices, the kef q and dali oberon look good but will depend on demos.

For now, I'll just stick with the Q acoustics/minx in the new tv wall/false chimney to see what they sound like and hopefully can get booked in soon for demos

Thank you Gasp3621

I'll put the eggs and other bits not needed up for sale when the time comes as don't want to keep them tbh, good as they were.

Building the tv wall/false chimney I'll have shelves either side in recess for bookshelf speakers (at ear level) and the minx will be up on the ceiling above bookshelf speakers.

Thank you for the links and info, I'll do some research tonight and look at prices, the kef q and dali oberon look good but will depend on demos.

For now, I'll just stick with the Q acoustics/minx in the new tv wall/false chimney to see what they sound like and hopefully can get booked in soon for demos

No chance to use speaker stands? Just wondering how far apart the shelves will let you place the main speakers, so that the front three isn`t too cramped together. Also how deep they are so are the speakers going too close to front walls, are the sides open in those etc. There is a good reasons why speaker stands are recommended, but if that doesn´t work out... :)

I ran my old Eggs as surrounds for a year or so and they did a very good job. Had no trouble selling them on, sold through our classifieds, but that was over six years ago. Now got the old R Series all round with a Denon amp.

No chance to use speaker stands? Just wondering how far apart the shelves will let you place the main speakers, so that the front three isn`t too cramped together. Also how deep they are so are the speakers going too close to front walls, are the sides open in those etc. There is a good reasons why speaker stands are recommended, but if that doesn´t work out... :)
No, the whole wall is being used for false chimney/shelves/cabinets.

Cabinets with oak worktops are 100cm width x 55cm depth and 80cm high (front L&R on these), shelfs will be same depth and width either side of a 164cm wide x 70cm depth x 2.2m high false chimney (which will have 55" recessed tv on full motion mount, oak mantel, electric recessed fire.) A "boxing in" either side down from ceiling 20cm high x 100cm wide and 55cm deep will have the minx 21 mounted onto underneath of it and recessed leds in them and the shelfs.

Similar layout to the attached photo (pic from Google for reference) except my shelves will be timber framed & plasterboard, plus we only have x2 door cabinets. 👍🏻

1 cabinet will have my sub, receiver, xbox, sky q box & network switch and I'll use a ir extender gadget to control hardware that needs it.

Attachments

• d96e35fc9de34e5a1939ffa266ed5639.jpg
    d96e35fc9de34e5a1939ffa266ed5639.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 66
I ran my old Eggs as surrounds for a year or so and they did a very good job. Had no trouble selling them on, sold through our classifieds, but that was over six years ago. Now got the old R Series all round with a Denon amp.

I kept my front eggs up on wall/ceiling and used them with the Q Acoustics as front heights, great speakers just an eyesore now, the Mrs never has liked the look of them lol. Seen them go for silly cheap money lately.

Funnily enough I got my eggs and kef 2010 2nd hand off here in classifieds a good few years back

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom