Upgrade path from Celestion A Series?

hugemagicwand

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello, many years ago I bought a Celestion A series speaker setup for my living room (6m x 5m, laminate over concrete floor).

It was a 5.1 setup as follows: Front / Stereo pair: A3, centre A4c, rear: A1 and a REL Stentor for a sub.

Whilst it was setup with movies in mind in practice I found myself listening to music 50% of the time.

I've been away from the audio scene for many years and am frankly very out of date with recent developments so I was wondering if anyone could help to identify what suitable replacements would be for these speakers would be?

I'd be looking for something that is good with both music and movies once more.

On the amplification front I'm having a rethink on that (long story) but it would most likely be an Arcam receiver because my previous amplification solution has gone to the audio store in the sky. If anyone has any suggestions on what to pair with their speaker recommendations amp wise I'd be delighted to hear. :)

Price wise I don't want to spend more than 5 grand on speakers (GBP) if I can help it. Are there speaker packages in this price band that would outperform the Celestions?

Finally I'm happy to consider both new and previously loved kit if your recommendation is now out of production.

Thanks for your help!

Choose the speakers and subwoofer separately as you have done earlier. I think you should put some models on paper which you can afford there in Czech Rebublic. I would look example: Kef R-serie, Monitor Audio Gold, Focal Aria, B&W 700, Revel (which fits budget), Dali Rubicon. These should satisfy the music side especially and no reason they wouldn´t do movies great aswell. For movies in mind the center channel is one of the most active speaker so when you see couple options example with B&W you should consider the larger 3-way HTM 71 S2 over smaller 72. Main speakers either standmount version with speaker stands or floorstanders. The latter is not that important for movies as you won´t be running them full range, you have powered subwoofer(s) with large driver taking care the low end. For surround sides if you are building 5.1 system you might not need largest standmount model especially if this is more of living room system with moderate listening levels. The main emphasis should be on the front three.

Sadly there is no easy answers regarding the speakers as in no one really knows which of those you would like best, so please make a list which you find intresting/possible and then hunt down dealers preferably those that carry many of these models so you can book demo time and listen them side by side using Arcam av-receiver (or Anthem/NAD if you buy those). Don`t put too much weight on peoples thoughts/reviews alone. You really need to hear yourself are they the step up you are hoping for. Don´t be afraid of not hearing differences, that is nonsense. Remember to bring your favourite music with you also. To make things harder you aren´t going to

Keep in mind that Arcam still has some bugs and issues with the machines if you read the owners thread here at receiver section, but if you are fine with that then proceed. The AVR20 model would be minium i would consider with these speakers. Anthem MRX-740 would be great alternative aswell as Nad T778.

As you live in EU, have a look example SVS PB2000 Pro/PB3000/PB4000 models for subwoofer. Or perhaps the sealed SB3000/SB4000/SB16U if you feel those ported boxes are too big. People have different tastes/requirements when it comes to bass. If you are looking to get the most physical impact for action/scifi/horror movies consider those PB models. They can be also ran as sealed plus all models have phone app control.

If you feel those won´t pass wifes eyes regarding finish and also otherwise another strong option would be Arendal subwoofers. The 1723 range has different models with 4 finishes. Example 1S=sealed cabinet, smaller box. 1V=vented/ported cabinet, larger box.

There is also cheaper 1961 range, no gloss finishes.

Hi Gasp3621, thank you for your reply which is awesome! I'm going to spend time over the weekend trying to shortlist some of the speakers you highlight above for auditioning!

Hi Gasp3621, thank you for your reply which is awesome! I'm going to spend time over the weekend trying to shortlist some of the speakers you highlight above for auditioning!
Hi,
wondering why you are looking to change the A3's, A1's.
I love my A1's and am about to build a new 5.1 system and am seriously considering finding some more A1's, matching it with a decent amp £3k~£4k and a pair of subs.
has something changed or do you just fancy an upgrade?

your thoughts would be appreciated

Dave

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the post. In the end I decided that I love my A3's just too much to change. I bi-amped them off an Arcam AVR and even though it's a receiver it sounds lovey to me :)
I did decommission my A1's though and replaced them with a pair of Dali Oberons driven by a Rega IO amp. The decision was practical since I now work from home full time I needed to free up desk space. I added a BK sub to compensate for the Oberon's lack of bass and hooked the whole thing up to an offboard DAC attached to one of my PC's. It might not satisfy some people but I'm really happy with it.
On the Celestion A series front I currently have spare: 2 * pairs A1, one pristine the other with cosmetic flaws (bought that way) and an A4C.
But cutting to the chase I agree with you the Celestion A series do sound great! :)

Unless you're spending £10,000 on speakers don't bother you won't get better for the money

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the post. In the end I decided that I love my A3's just too much to change. I bi-amped them off an Arcam AVR and even though it's a receiver it sounds lovey to me :)
I did decommission my A1's though and replaced them with a pair of Dali Oberons driven by a Rega IO amp. The decision was practical since I now work from home full time I needed to free up desk space. I added a BK sub to compensate for the Oberon's lack of bass and hooked the whole thing up to an offboard DAC attached to one of my PC's. It might not satisfy some people but I'm really happy with it.
On the Celestion A series front I currently have spare: 2 * pairs A1, one pristine the other with cosmetic flaws (bought that way) and an A4C.
But cutting to the chase I agree with you the Celestion A series do sound great! :)

Thanks for the update on your project, I have been out of Hifi for a long time as well and didn't even realise Celestion no longer made home speakers!
I am looking for A1's no massive rush as I am building a house and the reason I am looking now is I want to put the wires in the walls, hope to be in for this Christmas but we will see.
your not in the UK are you?
Unless you're spending £10,000 on speakers don't bother you won't get better for the money

I guess you mean the A3's fancied some of those back in the day but still love my A1's :)

yes and the ones I like are in Kent, hope to see some a bit closer to Somerset over the coming months

I took a look: found three pairs all for reasonable money!
If I didn't already have some I'd snag a pair! :)

@Dave, correct whilst I'm originally I'm from the UK but I've been living in CZ for 20+ years :)
Also just wanted to mention if you're putting cables in wall you might want to look at Mogami's 4 core cable. I just made up some cables with it and am very happy!

Cheers,
Keen to hear the A1's with a modern receiver vs new speakers and receiver.
I know I loved the A1's, they have been packed up for a couple of years while I build the house and I want to ensure I don't have a rose tinted memory of them

They're superb speakers I was using them for front in small room, then mains in a counter system now rears in home cinema

@rccarguy2 yep that's how I was using my first pair: rears in a 5.1 setup. Then I picked up a pair of A4R's and they sound unbelievable as well!

@DJNCOURT I agree with rrcarguy2 they are superb speakers you probably don't have rose tinted memories but rather accurate and amazing memories! ;-) Out of curiosity what amp /avr are you thinking of?

@GASP3261 suggested the NAD T778 in a separate thread, just watching some reviews now.
only after 5.1 / 5.2, so 5 off A1's, or a Pair of A2's or A3's if I can find some and a SVS PB16 Ultra, like the really low bass, with a 100m2 room its going to take some filling

Previously I used my A1's with a Cyrus 2 amp with PSX previously and it sounded great. At one point I was also using Cyrus 1 amps for the Mission rears and Mission centre speakers but although the sound was great especially from a DVD-audio it was a pain in the butt trying to get the volumes level!

@rccarguy2 yep that's how I was using my first pair: rears in a 5.1 setup. Then I picked up a pair of A4R's and they sound unbelievable as well!

@DJNCOURT I agree with rrcarguy2 they are superb speakers you probably don't have rose tinted memories but rather accurate and amazing memories! ;-) Out of curiosity what amp /avr are you thinking of?
Only issue wth a5r is they're dipoles whic might not be ideal. I'm using different brand bipoles, rather than finding matching a5r (or using my other brand dipoles)

@rccarguy2 "Only issue with a5r is they're dipoles which might not be ideal. I'm using different brand bipoles, rather than finding matching a5r (or using my other brand dipoles)"

For a short time I had the a5r's setup as a front stereo pair on my desk and they sounded absolutely brilliant!

But if you're not a fan of the di-pole configuration then maybe a pair of A1 Compact would work?

I'm using the A1 Compacts in my work flat and the sound lovely though in the interests of full disclosure it's a very little flat.

@rccarguy2 "Only issue with a5r is they're dipoles which might not be ideal. I'm using different brand bipoles, rather than finding matching a5r (or using my other brand dipoles)"

For a short time I had the a5r's setup as a front stereo pair on my desk and they sounded absolutely brilliant!

But if you're not a fan of the di-pole configuration then maybe a pair of A1 Compact would work?

I'm using the A1 Compacts in my work flat and the sound lovely though in the interests of full disclosure it's a very little flat.

I own and have tried bipole and dipoles I think dipoles more suited to non discrete audio iecold school Dolby Pro logic

Hello, many years ago I bought a Celestion A series speaker setup for my living room (6m x 5m, laminate over concrete floor).

It was a 5.1 setup as follows: Front / Stereo pair: A3, centre A4c, rear: A1 and a REL Stentor for a sub.

Whilst it was setup with movies in mind in practice I found myself listening to music 50% of the time.

I've been away from the audio scene for many years and am frankly very out of date with recent developments so I was wondering if anyone could help to identify what suitable replacements would be for these speakers would be?

I'd be looking for something that is good with both music and movies once more.

On the amplification front I'm having a rethink on that (long story) but it would most likely be an Arcam receiver because my previous amplification solution has gone to the audio store in the sky. If anyone has any suggestions on what to pair with their speaker recommendations amp wise I'd be delighted to hear. :)

Price wise I don't want to spend more than 5 grand on speakers (GBP) if I can help it. Are there speaker packages in this price band that would outperform the Celestions?

Finally I'm happy to consider both new and previously loved kit if your recommendation is now out of production.

Thanks for your help!
You and I have the same front, centre and rear speakers - I have the Cel A6s active sub and am looking for a second - plus surround speakers.
Since you have a 5.1 system I assume that you --- like me - want to watch movies/TV and listen to music with your system - not just one or the other.
When I moved into my new place in 2014 I had 2 sets of speakers and hi-fi gear. I was told very firmly by Vernon at Unilet (more later) to always keep the Celestions if I had space for them and sell the Kef References I had also bought -- to quote Vernon "nothing else matches or beats [the Celestion A series] performance at the price and [you] would need to spend a lot more to hear a difference -- yes at 49kg each they are big and heavy - but so what".
I would say they need to be in a reasonably large room to shine - my current room is 7.6m (L) x 4.6m (W) x 3.2m (H) and they are near perfect.
Observation - you are probably not driving your speakers to their best with your Arcam receiver -- I would look at upgrading your pre & power amp -- be this via a receiver OR with separate pre and power (as I do). AND upgrading the speaker cables you use to drive the front 3.
This is a far far better use of your budget than replacing these awesome speakers.
My system is based around the Yamaha CX-A5200 processor and pre-amp AND the MX-A5200 11-ch power amp - this gives me 4k and just about every digital decoding option I need together with the option to drive pure analogue sources as well.
My Fronts are bi-amped using the bridge function on the power amp (2 amps per speaker (4 in total) and each with their own cables) and the centre is biwired (2 amps drive a cable with 4 wires in it). All other speakers are simply driven and wired. All cables were made by Amit at Audio Sanctuary formerly Custom Cable, (upstairs at Unilet) - 35 High Street, New Malden, KT3 4BY.
When I moved in I placed the A3's on spikes and cones, on top of a heavy granite base which was isolated from the new wooden floor I installed when I moved in using felt sliders. Yesterday I was in Unilet New Malden (who Vernon worked for before he retired has been seling hifi gear to me since the early 1990s) when asked a similar question to yours, said the Number-One best upgrade their clients are using today is to change from spikes to isoAcoustics Gaia II Isolation Feet.

Attachments

• IMG_0479.jpg
    IMG_0479.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 28
You and I have the same front, centre and rear speakers - I have the Cel A6s active sub and am looking for a second - plus surround speakers.
Since you have a 5.1 system I assume that you --- like me - want to watch movies/TV and listen to music with your system - not just one or the other.
When I moved into my new place in 2014 I had 2 sets of speakers and hi-fi gear. I was told very firmly by Vernon at Unilet (more later) to always keep the Celestions if I had space for them and sell the Kef References I had also bought -- to quote Vernon "nothing else matches or beats [the Celestion A series] performance at the price and [you] would need to spend a lot more to hear a difference -- yes at 49kg each they are big and heavy - but so what".
I would say they need to be in a reasonably large room to shine - my current room is 7.6m (L) x 4.6m (W) x 3.2m (H) and they are near perfect.
Observation - you are probably not driving your speakers to their best with your Arcam receiver -- I would look at upgrading your pre & power amp -- be this via a receiver OR with separate pre and power (as I do). AND upgrading the speaker cables you use to drive the front 3.
This is a far far better use of your budget than replacing these awesome speakers.
My system is based around the Yamaha CX-A5200 processor and pre-amp AND the MX-A5200 11-ch power amp - this gives me 4k and just about every digital decoding option I need together with the option to drive pure analogue sources as well.
My Fronts are bi-amped using the bridge function on the power amp (2 amps per speaker (4 in total) and each with their own cables) and the centre is biwired (2 amps drive a cable with 4 wires in it). All other speakers are simply driven and wired. All cables were made by Amit at Audio Sanctuary formerly Custom Cable, (upstairs at Unilet) - 35 High Street, New Malden, KT3 4BY.
When I moved in I placed the A3's on spikes and cones, on top of a heavy granite base which was isolated from the new wooden floor I installed when I moved in using felt sliders. Yesterday I was in Unilet New Malden (who Vernon worked for before he retired has been seling hifi gear to me since the early 1990s) when asked a similar question to yours, said the Number-One best upgrade their clients are using today is to change from spikes to isoAcoustics Gaia II Isolation Feet.

I think the Celestion a sub is weak point I wouldn't get a second just update to new high end sub

Hi AJM057,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking to upgrade my amplification so you're spot on.
Also I was offered an A6s recently and turned it down (I'd been looking for one for ages) because I was given another Stentor so I'm good for bass right now :)
On the Sub front I also tried a BK Sub for my little system in my office and it's awesome.
But back to amplification. I'm kind of mixed. I'd like to stay with Arcam but they seem overpriced and under-featured compared with say a Denon. How do you find your Yamaha for music?

Hi AJM057,
Thanks for the reply. Yes I'm looking to upgrade my amplification so you're spot on.
Also I was offered an A6s recently and turned it down (I'd been looking for one for ages) because I was given another Stentor so I'm good for bass right now :)
On the Sub front I also tried a BK Sub for my little system in my office and it's awesome.
But back to amplification. I'm kind of mixed. I'd like to stay with Arcam but they seem overpriced and under-featured compared with say a Denon. How do you find your Yamaha for music?

I'm using ATI 2000 series. Celestion A are effcient but need grunt behind them.

Hi AJM057,
I am happy with the A6s and want to go stereo. SO no I do not need more GRUNT thanks rccarguy2.
I am very happy with the Yamaha and speaker package for music -- I play discs with my OPPO 205 UDP -- but I play streamed Qubuz and my digital collection via an Aurelic Altair and valve pre-amp which is then input via balanced analogue. I tried and succeeded to connect the yamaha to roon and while it works fine - I much prefer the Altair/valve pre approach.
Similarly for vinyl my Linn deck is connected to an independent phono stage,which then provides analogue input to the amp - I do not use the amp's on board phono stage.
I had a few Arcams in the 1980s'/90's for music before I moved to Tag McLaren (cf. audiolab - when I bought the Celestions - in 1998/9) and then to the Yamaha (to give me HDMI).
Arcams have a sweet sound but were light back then on the AV and DAC side particularly for the latest Dolby/DTS formats for film and DSD. Looking at their current product line - these do everything and I am sure sound great.
As to Denon yes these are great and their new 8k AV package is cool -- but more expensive than Yamaha and, I am guessing, less likely to have all the knobs and whistles that you get with a major manufacturer.
You should go to a good hifi dealer (like unilet) and listen to and compare the sound from the latest Arcams to Denon and others at this price level.

I'm using ATI 2000 series. Celestion A are effcient but need grunt behind them.
I am happy with the A6s and want to go stereo.
SO no I do not need more GRUNT and certainly NOT 2000 watts in a residential setting - thanks rccarguy2.

Hmm so this has me thinking that I might go back to a pre/power combo. I'd like to stay with Arcam but I'm willing to consider anything also I'm not bothered about having the latest model since I'm going to stick with the 5.1 setup. So I was wondering which pre/power combo would you guys recommend to drive my Celestions?

Hmm so this has me thinking that I might go back to a pre/power combo. I'd like to stay with Arcam but I'm willing to consider anything also I'm not bothered about having the latest model since I'm going to stick with the 5.1 setup. So I was wondering which pre/power combo would you guys recommend to drive my Celestions?

I'm using tonewinner at-300 and ATI 2007 series.

Worked well with audiolab 8000px X 2 also

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom