Upgrade path for Denon AVC A1SE

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by PFM, Dec 29, 2000.

Tags:
  1. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Does anyone know the future upgrade path of the AVC A1SE either firmware (through the RS-232c connector) of through the proposed Firewire DSP board & digital jack. Does this mean that an element of futureproofing has been built into the design (flash memory etc) that may allow for future extensions/developments in sound formats (eg DTS X.1, XX.i, ES etc)?

(I was a I knats whisker away from buying the AV10 SE until I heard the 1SE demoed along side it.)

Also I currently have a bolt on processor (obselete) for surround decoding leaving my Arcam Alpha 10 free standing for Hifi listening. Would I have to lose the Arcam and replace with the 1SE (Hifi amp quality questions & reservations) or can the 1SE be setup/programed to switch in and out as required?

Or would I have to hard wire the speakers to both (ensuring they were never turned on at the same time).

Answers on a post card to... (Please)

------------------
    If you're gonna shoot... shoot! don't talk.

2. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Veeerrryy Interesting... Denon A10SE side by side demo with an A1SE. Now that I'd love to know more about!

What sort of demo material did you use?
    What kind of differences stood out for you?
    Any chance of a quick summary of the speakers used?

In my v.early research I wondered about making use of the bi-wiring posts on my old Mission 752s so I could have a AV Amp for Movies, and leave my existing HiFi Amp for stereo music, and, as long as I avoided the both together, I had hoped this would work.

I never did determine if this was a good idea or not. As it turned out I very rapidly binned any idea of keeping the Mission speakers as the combination of new speakers and an A10SE was a much better proposition for music. I really must try out my old amp (Arcam Delta 290) with my new speakers (Dynaudio Contour 1.1's) for reference purposes.

In another post I've been wondering about using my Delta-290 amp to power the surround back speakers that the A10SE can support with an external power amp. It's been suggested I can using the pre-outs from the A10SE. Presumably you could do the same given an A1SE for the front two channels. No idea on the effects/success of this though, it's all hypothetical at the moment for me as I don't have enough speaker cable.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

3. PFM

PFM

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Right Stuart, here we go...

Firstly to answer your questions: I demoed the Denons in a shop in Newcastle (It was a spur of the moment demo in early December). The shop had a demo room setup for each amp and the software used was

10SE: DTS Demo disk (as mentioned in HCC)& Austin Powers 2

1SE: THX EX demo disk (the one with the Mario type figure fixing the THX Logo)& Mission Impossible.

I cant remember the speakers used in the 10SE demo but it did sound fantasic with excellent channel steering and accurate placement.

The speakers used for the 1SE were the KEF THX ref package (2x sub woofers) and the sound reproduced was frightening in its realism (the orchestral score in Mission Impossible - heavy with kettle drums, was awesome) also the final sequence with the train chase, the effects panned from surround to surround were pinpoint (trees whizzing past, helecopter movements etc).

For both systems the sound format demo discs sounded good (as you would expect) but the Golden gong had to go to the 1SE for incredulous realism of reproduction from commercially available software Unfortunately I didnt have any time or listening material on my person for stereo listening (I had actually gone into the shop searching for an Arcam Alpha 10 Power amp). So when all was said and done The side by side demo was not accurate in the sense that it was done with identical matching kit surroundings etc. I was aware of this at the time and justified it through wanting to hear the amps at somewhere near their max potential (I'm currently midway through a 2 year plan major AV upgrade).

My thoughts when the 10SE came out were similar to yours in so far as, if I could reprogramme the amp to accept the Alpha 10 as the main stereo source that would satisfy my needs for excellent reproduction in both areas (hifi & AV) and give me ES capability. So I see no reason why you couldn't wire in your Delta to power the rears (although you would have to set the gain on the delta to a fixed level to the 10se becomes the controlling preamp; if the delta does not sport a processor gain switch).

As per my original questions about the 1SE, Im still looking. If anyone has any thoughts on the original posting.. I would be very grateful as ~2k is not a small amount of cash to part with.

Answers on a...

------------------
    If you're gonna shoot... shoot! don't talk.